Thursday, November 20, 2008

More whining

I've caved, I'm just going to whine tonight. I don't really have a defense except it seems better to do it online where you can skip over it in 5 seconds than in person to my poor husband. And I already called and whined to my mother tonight. Plus, I do want to remember that I also got through this should I ever be lucky enough to experience this particular miraculous set of circumstances again.

To put it simply: I am hungry.

Really, really hungry. I can't seem to find anything I'm allowed to eat that makes me feel full, and nothing that makes me feel satisfied. I am craving anything spicy, a big hearty sandwich, the ice cream JD has been eating all week, chocolate, hot chocolate, mocha, cupcakes, pizza, anything baked .... basically the full list of things I'm not allowed to eat.

What have I been eating? Plain yogurt, mini whole wheat bagels, hard cheese, eggs, plain meat, tofu in low carb whole wheat wraps, cottage cheese, plain oatmeal once a day, no more than a 1 inch square piece of unsweetened dark chocolate once a day, nuts, protein bars, peanut butter, more nuts, blueberries, occasionally melon or half an apple ... and it's all so boring and bland.

I know, I'm incredibly lucky that thus far I have been able to control my GD with diet and exercise and that my lack of weight gain since the GD diagnosis seems to have staved off all of the other late pregnancy symptoms (very, very little back pain, no swelling - I'm still wearing my wedding band, still sleeping through the night about 1/2 the time ... ) so I'm sure if I wasn't complaining about this I'd be whining about all the other little distractions. I think that part of my frustration is that everyone expects me to eat endlessly, and I get so many comments about how 'lucky' I am to be able to eat whatever I want, when in fact you can hear my stomach growl at least once an hour if you're listening. I fully expect my weight to go up significantly post-partum. Hopefully my GD consult on Tuesday will at least earn me another signed letter clearing me for 7 more days to give birth 'naturally.' There is something also deeply disturbing in the power dynamic between my GD doctor and me, but that's another post for another time.

7 comments:

nancy said...

You have a right to bitch and complain and whine. Yes yes, we're lucky to be pregnant. But dude, being pregnant and not being allowed to eat what you want? The one time it's your god given right to eat anything? I feel you hun.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Nancy. I had to pay attention so D. wouldn't get too big. I started watching what I ate then it depressed the hell out of me! I couldn't believe I was "dieting" when I was pregnant!

HUGS

Melissia said...

I know this is boring assvice but sometimes I find that fresh vegetables with the fiber and dip with a small amount of real yummy fat will satisfy the brain and stomach when I am hungry. I feel your pain and am so grateful for my glucophage which really keeps me from that hunger. It is the pits to not be able to eat whatever you what, but a small bite of one thing, especially as a rare treat, might lift your spirits. And if it is high in fat, it will satisfy your cravings.

Geohde said...

GD is rough. I'm sorry- I was worried I'd have it and the thought of watching what I ate, even a bit was terrible. What with the hinger that never stops...

J

Io said...

Oh dude, that sucks. I got hungry just reading that. After this kid pops out I will send you some chocolate or something so you can make up for lost time.
I would love to move to New York - both my best friends live there right now (one just for this semester), there's just the little matter of money. But once I do have money, I will no doubt be visiting and I will stalk you if you are in town.

ms. c said...

Ugh. Complain away! I agree with Nancy too.

As for Doctor power struggles... I completely understand. The dealings with my OB made the end of my pregnancy horrible in some aspects (especially the 11 days I went overdue- each day was a fight.)

Do yuo want me thinking labour-thoughts for you? I'd be happy to.

Samantha said...

I'm sorry about the diet. Do you like kefer? Not exactly super-exciting, but I find it a nice change from yogurt.