JD started a new job last Monday. He had a week of orientation so today was his first full day in his division. It apparently started with a meeting with one of his bosses, who told him that 'there are a few classes we'd like you to take this spring if you want to stay in this division' (which he does). The guy then gave him what I presume was meant to be a sympathetic pep talk about how hard it will be to take classes in addition to working full time 'with a new wife and baby' and suggested he might consider switching foci.
I heard about this at about 8 pm when JD called from a bar. He was clearly more than a bit nervous about my response. But honestly and truly I just laughed. If JD and his boss somehow think that a couple of hours of night classes are going to make the difference between sanity and chaos in our lives, they have to be kidding. Between adjusting to a new baby, working a full-time job in addition to being a full-time graduate student, commuting to a city 4 hours away for said job, preparing to leave the country again in May ... really, I don't see this as our greatest challenge.
Needless to say, JD sounded much relieved that I do not plan to stomp my feet and insist that he switch divisions. And the two friends I bumped into tonight were both horrified that I had not 'stood up for myself.' But really, looking at the list above our life is just so out of control I don't see this as pushing us over the tipping point. We're long past said tipping point.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thanks for your comment and tip about finger-pricking -- I hadn't known you could try different places.
Now I'm off to read your blog...
Post a Comment