Tuesday, November 18, 2008

I think our handyman missed his true calling

He clearly wanted to be an ob/gyn, or maybe a doula. And not at all in the negative sense of unsolicited advice. He is, if anything, deeply reassuring.

Every time I run into him he asks me any number of questions. This morning I got:
- Are you feeling ok?
- Baby kicking everyday?
- Remembering to rest?

He really doesn't give advice, it's more like he feels the need to check in every day and see how my progress is going. Within the first 5 minutes I met him he had shown me photos of his 8 month old girl. And unlike everyone else who keeps telling me to 'take it easy' but then does nothing to make that feasible, he's actually quite helpful. Last time he was in the apartment he had to move the kitchen table to get to a broken radiator valve. Of course, there were dirty dishes on the table and as I was desperately scrambling to put them away, he told me I really should sit down and he'd take care of the dishes. Nice, eh?

3 comments:

Ms. J said...

This is a man to marry. Or have a fling with, LOL!

Rachel said...

I'm wishing we lived in your building.

..al said...

Nice Indeed! Good for you...