Sunday, May 18, 2008

Back

Sorry about the complete silence. It has been a hectic 2 days since returning to the U.S.

I landed at 4:30 pm with 3 messages from my dressmaker about getting downtown as soon as possible. Not a relaxing beginning. BUT, my wedding dress is done and I'm off to pick it up today AND she had to both take in the top (because of all that crazy weight loss) and take out the waist as much as possible. I hate to say it, but I think we won't need any big announcement after I walk down the aisle. It's an empire waist and it's basically skin tight over the belly area. But it looks good.

As I was prancing around the bridal store, completely thrilled that I could still fit into my dress, I realized that the woman in the next fitting room was getting a bit annoyed. And then her friend basically came in and whispered 'She's 5 months pg. and a little bit annoyed that nobody is talking about it.'

Hahahaha.

Poor, skinny girl. At 9 weeks my tummy is much more noticeable than yours. What can I say? We all have certain talents, and gaining weight is recently one of mine.

[And yes, I have already been told by my MIL and future aunt that I might be gaining too much weight. And that I really look a bit fat. But I am aggressively focusing on the positive here, and that is a distinct belly. Especially since it's been my only symptom this week, except for a rather extreme appetite. And if weight gain is what my body can do well at the moment, I'm going to celebrate it. And I only weighed 135 on Friday, so that's at most up 6 lbs since our little secret started growing.]

And in case all this discussion has whetted your appetite and you really want to know what JD and I will look like at our wedding ... ta da. I think that I look very fabulous and slim in this dress. My hair also looks much neater than normal. JD unfortunately seems to have gone bald overnight, but hopefully the kippah will cover it up (and yes, this is definitely my favorite card thus far):



And at 9 weeks I had 2 friends guess our little secret on my first day back on campus (granted, one of them knew about our IF cycles, so it was a reasonable guess. The other however didn't).

And in more entertaining news, the progression of JD's comments over the weekend went something like this:

On Friday night at midnight* when I greeted him at JFK airport and very proudly unbuttoned my raincoat to flash him the belly, he replied: "It looks just like your normal pudge." It was a good thing I was asleep within about 2 minutes (literally before we left the parking lot) so I didn't have time to craft a sharp response.

On Saturday morning when I tempted the wrath of fate and tried on a maternity skirt and dress and realized that both JD and I could fit into the dress: "Well, I can see a little new fat."

In the early evening when while trying to find a new dress to wear to my rehearsal dinner: "Is that normal? Should you really be that large?"

He has no idea how lucky he is to have such a tolerant, self-sufficient fiance. And yes, I found a new dress for $25 which JD declared "very junior prom." It's satin and hot pink and I think it looks great. I'm actually hopeful that it's loose enough I might be able to wear it to one of our 4 weddings in the fall.

And he does do little things to reassure me. Like spending an hour yesterday night on the floor at his parent's house wrestling with a very active 3-year-old who was visiting.

It's 9 am on Sunday and I've been grading final exams since 7:30 am and I am nowhere close to finishing. Back to work.

* I would not normally be at the airport on Friday night, or anywhere near it, but I either had to lug all my bags to Penn Station and take the train out to my in-laws or wait for them to come pick me up enroute to picking up JD. After discussion with my mother, I decided to wait for the ride. I think it was reasonable decision.

4 comments:

Newt said...

Aaaaaaaww, congrats on your little belly! I'm glad you're home, and enjoy getting ready for the wedding!

Anonymous said...

I have carefully trained H not to mention my belly, size of, on pain of PAIN. Because I have always been a big chubby girl (ahhh, PCOS, the gift that keeps on giving, and giving, and giving), and I am nagged about it a lot by medical professionals and my aunts and mother and sister. If H joined in too I'd, I'd, I'd.. I don't know what I'd do. Something drastic.

Glad the dress looks good! I'll bet your belly looks adorable in it. Hurrah!

Antigone said...

Enjoy it! Who cares about the weight - you can lose it after you have a baby in your arms.

Hot pink prom dress??? I'd love to see it. Sounds like a bridesmaid dress I had to wear once upon a time ago.

Kristen said...

Glad you arrived home safely!
Hope you plan on showing us pics of the hot pink dress...can't wait to see :)