But I got back to my apartment tonight to discover that the elevator is broken. I live on the eighth floor. And I have a lot of books. Way more weight than anybody thinks is safe for me to carry at this point. So either I can take the risk on my bags and make 3 trips down the stairs or I can split each bag into two and have to walk up 48 flights of stairs, all before a long day. Any brilliant ideas? Most of my friends here have kids and I just feel too guilty making them come all the way to me at 7 am to carry my luggage down the stairs (nobody lives within a half hour). I can try and kick my luggage down the stairs, but most of the injuries I've read are from sharp, sudden movements. Argh!!!!!!!
I just wanted a stress-free trip back.
UPDATE: I hate p-boards. And stupid people.
From Yahoo on this very question (whether it's dangerous to lift things), the highest rated answer:
Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
yes it is..if you dont want the baby then go right ahead...it puts strain on you to lose the baby
#2 answer: yes, the first trimester is very delicate. just relax, and wait for someone else to come along and lift it for you.
Right. Cause we're really talking about loading our bottled water into our SUVs outside Whol.e Fo.ods. If there were anyone I could think of to ask for help, of course that's what I'd do. But I live on the top floor and nobody goes to work that early in this country.
I really may not buy any of these books when I'm back in the U.S. I just don't want to deal with this type of stupidity. I love the advice not to carry heavy things anyway. For those of us who live in cities, that's how we get our groceries home. And our laptops to school to do work. And our books home. And no, not everybody lives with their partner.
And let's put this in perspective, billions of women in the developing world work in manual labor and walk up flights of stairs. This just makes me mad.
(http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071205123718AApGsje&show=7)
Or this highly rated response: "So, think about it first....you could lift something too heavy, cause a strain, and lead to possible death or retardation of the baby you are carrying. Now, you make the personal decision to say whether or not you are willing to take that risk."
Yes, it's all about blame the woman. Why can't we just blame the elevator and the awful repair service???
2 comments:
Retardation? From lifting heavy objects? I see quite a bit of research has been done since I received my early childhood education degree 10+ years ago.
I cannot believe people like that still exist, much less have internet connections.
It looks like you got it all worked out, thankfully. You must be on a plane by now. I hope the fitting goes well and have fun this weekend with JD!
Ditto about having fun this weekend.
Most people are idiots btw. I've given up on yahoo boards.
Post a Comment