I realized that the broken elevator created two problems: how to get my suitcase down the stairs without lifting and how to get a good night's sleep and not worry about it. So I decided to just take care of the situation tonight.
I kicked my black wheelie suitcase and duffel down 9 flights of stairs. 134 steps. I stopped and rested between each floor. And no, nobody offered to help. Because people here suck like that. Then I lugged my suitcases (which do have wheels and stack neatly together) the 2 blocks to the train station and stuffed them in a locker. And then I realized that the lockers here take neither credit cards nor coins; they only take the national bank card. So I took my luggage out of the locker, hopped on a train to central station, and found the lockers there. By which point I was a bit tired.
And proceeded to announce very, very loudly to the security that I needed Help. To be precise, he said something along the lines of 'do it yourself' and I practically screamed at him "Maar, ik ben ZWANGER." So there you have it. I have announced the situation -loudly- to one of the busiest train stations in the world. But I got many congratulations and much help.
And in the morning, I just have to grab my backpack, a bag-lady-style-grocery-bag with my toiletries and dirty underwear and pajamas and hope on the subway to central station, reclaim the rest of my luggage, and then it's just one more train, 2 planes, no bus because I'm splurging, and a cab before I drop my stuff off and practically waltz downtown to my dress fitting. I hope it's a relaxing day.
In other news, I do occasionally wonder about JD. He just asked me how long it's been since he's seen me in person. Given that he left less then 30 hours post-trigger shot it's a bit puzzling that he's forgotten how long it's been. Here I am counting down the days until 12/13 weeks (which is basically counting down the days till my wedding) and he can't even remember when this little bump was made. But he is flying up to NYC on Friday after work to 'surprise' me. Which means I'll forgive almost any lapse in memory.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I was in Germany lugging around two large, heavy bags and nobody helped. Walking up the stairs to the train platform, I lost grip on one of my bags which rolled down to the bottom. I ran back down and dragged it back to the top just in time to see the friggin train leaving without me. That really sucked. It was 1 or 2 in the morning and I had a flight to catch. Loads of fun.
Post a Comment