Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Sometimes you just have to call a friend and say: meet us at the bar

When the daycare called at 1 pm to say the fusspot had a fever above 102 (below 102 is welcome to stay - no wonder she's always sick) I figured I might as well call the doctor before heading over to pick her up. My suspicion was either pneumonia (from a lingering cold, cough, and high fever) or UTI (from yea.st infection, sporadic high fever and general lethargy). Dr. Google and my intuition score a: F for fail.

The doctor examined her (although he did not take her temperature - which was the main culprit), declared this a "normal cold" that should be "getting better by tomorrow evening" and then added for good measure "But what are you doing about her asthma?"

Yes, I had childhood asthma. Yes, I know what wheezing sounds like. I just figured that most babies sound like that when they are sick. Turns out that is wrong.

And yet again, I wish that I lived with my husband. See, they don't do nebulizers here. They use regular inhalers with an extra air chamber for infants. Which means that you have to:
1. pin the child's hands down
2. hold the inhaler to their face
3. squirt the inhaler
See the problem?

Which is how I ended up calling a friend at 4 pm and saying "I'll buy you a glass of wine if you'll pin my daughter in her stroller." And two breastfeeding mothers sat in the window of a popular bar on the local 'main street' and sipped their wines and breastfeed (yes, at the same time. This is Europe, and there has to be some benefit to living over here). And then my friend pinned the fusspot to the stroller and I gave her her meds. I am really hoping that the daycare teachers will help me hold the fusspot even if they are not allowed to give her any medicene themselves. Otherwise I may be drinking rather a lot of wine in the next few days.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Bless your heart! I just hope the fusspot starts feeling well again soon. 102 can stay, huh? Interesting...

I feel bad for her and the inhaler. I had a very bad case of bronchitis once and your routine with the fusspot sounds similar to my husband 'assisting' me. I hated it!

I'm so glad you have heat again, though. We didn't have heat when we arrived home from the holidays and it was wretched; I've been thinking about you a lot these past few days!

Ms. J said...

Now THAT's a good friend to keep!!!

Kristi said...

Wow. All I can say is that you're supermom for doing what you're doing (and especially child-tackling) all on your own. I hope she's better soon.

kate said...

Argh! I can't imagine trying to give an inhaler to a tiny, squirming child! I have a hard enough time doing it to myself!

(And yes, no wonder her daycare is a cesspool of disease when they let a child with a 101 degree fever stay in the classroom...)

I say you should simply drink a lot of wine anyway, regardless of whether the daycare workers can help or not. But then again, I'm sort of a lush sometimes-- I may demand that you come visit us post-pregnancy (if we can find a time when neither of us is pregnant!) for a trip to one of our local wineries.

jenn said...

mmm- wine!
I am sorry for fusspot's awful daycare sick policy! It really is no wonder she's been sick so much!

I hope you are nice & toasty now!