So excited to find out that I have readers both in NYC and elsewhere who were willing to comment on my daycare dilemma. So here are my responses, and the progress we've made.
Anonymous, I presume you are not in NYC. I would love to just send the fusspot to a good Montessori daycare (mind you daycare, she's too young for preschools of which there are far more). I would love it so much that I forked over $30 to apply, even though I knew there would be more than 500 applicants for the 30 or so spots. And we tried. Except this happened at our local Montessori preschool (in fact, in a post titled "Why we need to leave NYC"). And the four other reasonable daycares in the neighborhood wouldn't even consider her because they couldn't interview her on their schedule, seeing as we live abroad and all. While NYC mothers get an accurate representation as obsessive, some of it is well-deserved. There has been a huge baby boom in the city and given the very strict regulations on fire escapes, sinks, bathrooms, etc. there are very few apartments which can be made into daycares, and thus exceedingly few spots open. I would guess that a ratio of 500 applicants per 30 spots goes for all of the places in our neighborhood. There is the daycare in the 'bad neighborhood' nearby but I am increasingly hesitant to send the fusspot into a tiny one-room facility with 14 other kids, an elevator which breaks frequently making it impossible for them to even go out on a walk, and a TV which is turned on, despite the lovely staff. So yes, I'd love to send her to a Montessori daycare, no, it's not going to happen.
And then my new NYC reader (hi Malea!) suggests we ought to pay our nanny off the books to be fair to them. First off, my opposition to this is by no means philosophical or theoretical or even political (even anything, being left of left of left we're all for making it easier for immigrants, especially since I am a first generation American, JD emigrated, and my MIL actually worked as an illegal nanny on the UES before her papers came through), it's just that within the next five years one or both of us could very easily land up in a job interview where an early and legit question would be "Have you knowingly broken any laws?" and I just don't want to put us in a position where we can't answer that question. I don't talk about JD's work, but you might imagine him doing something like enforcing immigration law, which is why this matters so much. So as to the pay, when I said pay 'generously' I should have clarified that we will advertise a base pay, tell people they have to be legal, and then take on fully the extra costs associated with taxes, workers comp, etc. So if we advertise $10 an hour, we are well aware that we will be paying $15 an hour. I do realize we can't offer nearly enough for a good quality of life, but the woman who we initially hired and then backed out is making under $9000 a year and thus qualifying for medicaid. I really doubt that her standard of living would be lower if she took a job where she'd make $25,000 a year. And Rachel, in NYC a single adult needs to make under $9000 to qualify for Medicaid, so I'm sure your acquaintance qualified because of her dependents.
Carrie suggested we find other activities to help the fusspot learn Chinese, but go with a local nanny share (which is what we did last year 2 days a week). Here's the problem: I really think that she needs at least 30 hours a week exposure to Chinese in order to get the intonations correct and become fluent. Even basic language classes don't start until age 3 or 4, and I think that's awfully late for this language (and believe me, I have suffered through enough language classes that I can say with confidence that some languages are easier than others. Honestly folks, I've passed at least the first year in eight languages along my long educational path ...).
But Kate and Jenn's comments both got me thinking about priorities, and the truth is that I'd also really like for the fusspot to be bilingual. And if JD really wasn't going to push Chinese, then I'd probably try to put her in a Hebrew-language daycare (of which there are several, they just have crazy politics). So yes, this is his priority, but I'm going to need to do more than passively support it in order for it to happen. And also, despite our best liberal intentions, we have very much fallen into the (hopefully very temporary) trap that JD brings in the bulk of our income but he has to work really long hours to do so, and thus I am the one who takes responsibility for daily household stuff and staying home with the fusspot is sick, etc. So here's what I did: I e-mailed JD and told him he needs to:
1. Figure out his priorities on this language thing and how much he cares
2. Figure out how much he's willing to pay for childcare (not how much we can, how much he's actually comfortable doing)
3. Realize that I can't find a Chinese-speaking home daycare/nanny so he needs to do it, and he needs to get it done by the time we get home
and just for good fun, I reminded him that 4. Since I will be doing every single pick-up and 90% of the weekday bedtimes alone, he is solely in charge of getting the fusspot out of the house and to her daycare, wherever it is. Every single day. Rain or snow, not my problem.
And yes, it was only #4 which made him mad. What can I say? We're just not morning people.
Thank you so much for all your comments and suggestions. They really helped me work through the situation, and I do think dealing with it via e-mail was a good idea.
So, new topic: meal plans. I am really excited (incredibly super-excited, Rachel) to get back to a regular ol' 2-parent household in the land of abundantly stocked supermarkets. So I've been thinking about dinner plans. I told JD I would cook 4 nights a week if he cooked 1 night a week (real meals, which require more than one serving dish and are not take-out). I figure we can eat leftovers/eat at work/pizza/let my MIL cook for the remaining two nights a week quite reasonably. And I may even institute something crazy like breakfast foods for dinner on Thursday night when the fusspot gets old enough to appreciate it. I love breakfast food, and it's fast and a fun little family tradition.
So I need to cook 4 meals a week. I figure I should aim for 2 dairy, 2 meat meals (yes, we keep kosher. But almost anything except for pork and shellfish can be modified to be kosher so don't feel restricted below). So here are dinners that I can make easily off the top of my head (any quick skimming of the list will reveal my deep love affair with my crockpots - perfect for shabbos, perfect for dinner on a busy day especially since I will be cooking with the fusspot under foot). So here is the question of the night, dear readers: what are your favorite 3-4 easy weekday dinners?
Dairy dinners:
mushroom lasagna
curry cauliflower soup
baked tortillas
enchiladas
butternut squash casserole
eggplant moussaka
creamy tofu with cold peanut noodles
egg-tomato-noodle stew
mushroom stroganoff
cream of brocoli soup (crockpot)
harira
vegetarian chili (crockpot)
baked mac and cheese
spicy peanut-tomato soup
baked salmon
stuffed whitefish
vegetable popovers (not a full meal but good)
lentil soup/stew
vegetarian pot pie (crockpot)
polenta (crockpot)
feta-olive pasta (stovetop)
grilled cheese (maybe it's not dinner for you, but I love it. Horseradish cheddar and whole wheat bread make it delicious)
meat dinners:
brisket
chicken stir fry
cold chicken salad
guiness beef stew (crockpot)
meat chili (crockpot)
spicy peanut chicken (crockpot)
sweet and sour chicken (crockpot)
beaf meatballs
steak
And now for my personal challenge of the month, I have challenged myself to enter into an online contest every day. We'll see if I win anything. 30 contests in the month of February (ok, so I'm at 5 already but that's a good thing given how busy this month is). I won't do contests you have to register for, I don't tweet/'follow' anyone/advertise for free on my blog/become 'facebook friends' so that rules out a number of contests, but there's still plenty of stuff out that and I want to see what happens this month. I'll let you know how it goes, but if you see any really good online contests I'd love to hear!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I'm glad you got the chance to be straight with JD about what you were asking of him, even if it made him mad. At least it got the conversation going, and you can at least feel like you've said what needed to be said.
As for dinners, here are our weeknight go-tos:
--homemade pizza- It's incredibly easy with a bread machine, and/or you can make a batch of dough on the weekend and it freezes incredibly well- just put the ball of dough in the fridge before you leave for work and by the time you're home, it's thawed and ready to roll out. If you want my recipe, let me know (I'll have to type it up, but I totally don't mind at all, since I'm trying to type up all of my regular recipes one by one)
--easy tomato sauce- we're pasta lovers (pasta with anything!), and this sauce has become our new favorite:
http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/01/tomato-sauce-with-butter-and-onions/
--vegetarian sloppy joes (if you like sloppy joes, let me know and I'll email you my recipe- it's a basic sloppy joe sauce with onions and peppers and veggie burger crumbles instead of meat, though meat would be fine, too)
--roasted chicken w/ roasted potatoes and salad or broccoli. I use Fabio's Top Chef recipe- it is perfect and incredibly easy. Recipe here:
http://keyingredient.com/recipes/109678/fabios-top-chefroasted-chicken-with-caramelized-onions-roasted-potatoes/
--Red Beans and Rice- I use a modified Cooking Light slow cooker recipe (I'm not as big of a fan of the slow cooker as you are!) Recipe here:
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=443497
I generally do a fast version of this with canned beans and brown all the veggies and sausage in the pan before adding the beans and spices and whatnot- I think that browning the sausage and veggies adds something.
--Kate's Farmer Chicken- recipe is in this post:
http://theonlybeeinyourbonnet.blogspot.com/2009/01/todays-post-is-brought-to-you-by-letter.html
Otherwise, I'm like you. Grilled cheese is a favorite (or do it "mexican" style and have quesadillas), delicious with tomato soup. I'm perfectly happy with black beans over brown rice with a little cheese and salsa over it. I've embraced convenience foods (parcooked brown rice, canned beans, bakery bread, etc.) to make weeknights easier.
Oh, and you can also check any of my posts tagged with BLTs, as I try to label any recipes I post about with that tag.
I'm also glad you & JD got to talk it out- I find it so funny that the one he has issue with is #$- only because I am also sooo not a morning person!
I am also pretty spoiled in that I don't really cook anymore. The hub has taken over (he used to be a professional cook- so it's fairly easy for him) I do mainly evening childcare/playtime/bedtime & the cleanup. He does daytime childcare & the food. And general housekeeping. I am so freaking lucky- but I digress...
I LOVE mac n cheese. grilled cheese, quesadillas- carbs & cheese & you've got me hooked! I also like a bbq chicken- as simple as brushing any kind of chicken with sauce & popping under the broiler till done, some veggies & rice. Super simple, pretty easy & so yummy! I do a quick tofu veggie stir fry with a ginger soy sauce that is also really simple. The only trick I have is really firm tofu & cut & soak in a soy marinade first. Then toss in a hot pan to brown evenly before stirfrying with whatever veg you want.
The hub's go-to favorite is buttered noodles. Perhaps a reason I am not losing ~any~ weight at all. I ~do~ love breakfast for dinner- especially a nice frittata. Really good with sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes too.
I'm late to the childcare discussion, but I'll comment anyway. I've said before that childcare is by far the most stressful thing I've dealt with as a parent. Hate it hate it hate it. I'm not in NYC, but I am in a different US crazy metro area, which comes awfully close, so I know some of what you're dealing with. So I'll make two suggestions:
1. I always hated the idea of leaving LL at someone else's house, and swore I would never do it, but we ultimately found a *licensed* small home daycare that we love. I called tons of references, and I dropped by random times during the day for the first several weeks to see what was really going on, until I trusted it. It has worked out great, so maybe don't rule that out.
2. I know that it's easier to learn languages when you're young, but by "young," they really mean under 10 or so. It doesn't have to start in the toddler years. I know lots of kids around here who only spoke English until they were put in Chinese immersion school in kindergarten, and they're completely fluent.
Finding care/school is SO much easier when they're a bit older. If I were in your shoes, I would focus right now on just finding somebody that I trust, because you're too short on time and energy to be solving everything at once. Once the fusspot is settled in with a good caretaker, you can take the time to really explore your options.
--baked salmon or other fish, with quinoa and field greens (we love salad with blue cheese, dried cranberries, and walnuts/pepitas)
--Thai green curry tofu: You get one of those little cans of Thai green curry, mix it with sauteing onions, add tofu and coconut milk and serve with basmati or brown rice
I like Kate's frozen dough suggestion.
And don't worry too much about immediate exposure to Chinese: I even know some folks who learned it "late" (i.e. in their late teens) and are shockingly fluent and able to trick native speakers over the phone. And to read classical Chinese texts (way harder, imho). So you've got a couple of years...
Oh, dinners! For dairy, we do a lot of pasta (spaghetti, spinach tortellini, cheese gnochi, all very simple and easy to make) and a lot of soup (split pea is good in the slow cooker, too). Also, I make fish a lot, because it cooks so fast. I keep a bunch of different marinades in the house, so I can just pop some fish into a marinade and I'm good to go.
We also do homemade sushi (usually something like tekka donburi) which is honestly the easiest dinner in the world. If you're in NYC, there MUST be a Japanese or Korean market nearby -- pick up some sashimi-grade tuna, make some rice, and you're good to go. Perfect with some instant miso soup. Other than boiling some water and starting the rice cooker, there's nothing to actually cook!
Your meat list looks very similar to mine (we make peanut chicken a LOT). I've also been doing pot roast in the slow cooker, even though it makes me feel a little too 50s housewife.
Post a Comment