Thursday, December 16, 2010

So many lovely things today and one little nagging problem ...

To be a bit pollyann-ish, it was quite nice that the fusspot acquired her first true black and blue bruise and partially swollen shut eye-wound at a doctor's office. Well, to be precise at my midwives' office. I felt much reassured that all of the midwives assembled to assess the wound and were in unison that it needed no ER/doctor's visit.

I used the bruise as an excuse to play hooky and spend the entire day (well, until dinnertime) with the fusspot. Including a lovely playdate and even some Old Navy clearance shopping for me (yet again I was that lovely infertile friend who dragged another infertile to the maternity section ... )

I love that our regular daycare provider doesn't charge us when I don't bring the fusspot, so I don't feel guilty about keeping her home.

I love that our evening babysitting sent the fusspot home with Christmas bread. In the same tupperware that I used to move the extra cupcakes from her birthday party out of our kitchen and into theirs. It is really nice to be on friendly terms with her daycare providers.

I love that I still went out from 6 to 9 pm and thus got to do something work-related and sans fusspot today.

I am deeply relieved that I only gained 4 lbs in my post-discovering-that-the-bargain-baby-and-I-do-not-have-gestational-diabetes-binge (note: slightly under a week). Really, not bad all considering.

So the only annoying thing is that the 5 midwives are having a group meeting next week and they're going to talk about ... me. And my complete and utter inability to do kick counts. I just don't feel kicks on the inside. I never did with the fusspot, and I still am not. Occasionally I can feel the bargain baby roll over or even see part of a limb sticking out of my stomach. Occasionally as in every 2 or 3 days. So yeah, no kick counts. And today's midwife quietly suggested we add in NSTs since I wouldn't be able to sense if something was wrong. Except that I did that last time and they are such a huge time-consuming hassle and not all that accurate, nor do the nurses understand why you are there. Of course if it's necessary I'm happy to spend 1.5-2 hours 3 times a week trudging to and fro the hospital, but I'd really rather not. I quietly suggested that I could acquire a home doppler if necessary, and the midwife agreed that that would be every bit quite as effective as a NST at alerting us to a massive problem. The only thing is that if consensus in the practice is that we need to do that, they need to agree to see me immediately if I can't get a reading because there's no way I'm going to wait for an appointment if I think something is wrong. Any chance anyone has a home doppler that they want to loan me for the next 2-3 months? Any advice on renting one?

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I rented a Baby Beat (http://www.babybeat.com/). Get one with the digital heart rate display. They were easy to work with and I didn't have any problems. They are a little pricey, but I guess if the alternative is the NSTs and if time is a consideration then they are probably worth it.

Soña said...

I also rented from Baby Beats and was happy with them. I'm sure you've thought of this but the only issue I'd see with a fetal heart rate monitor as opposed to kick counts (versus in conjunction with them) is that the presence of fetal heart tones doesn't really tell you if the baby is in distress since a distressed baby's heart is still beating. That and what you'd already noted that your midwives group would need to be willing to get you in immediately seems to make the whole HRM thing not as useful.

The Mama said...

I have a lovely one that I can mail you. :-) It doesn't look like I will be needing it.