Wednesday, December 1, 2010

I guess my odds were off

I had only put the chance of a first haircut at 15% because I didn't really think that my MIL would take the kitchen scizzors and just snip away. So much for that whole discussion about bangs/no bangs because the fusspot has only about 1 cm of hair left in the front ...

But what's important is that I'm home and she's fine.

Of course, I am still immensely grumpy. And it really doesn't help that my MIL did some serious shopping for us, and if she'd just given me a quarter of the money she spent (or clicked on my amazon wish list for that matter, I try to make things easy) I would be 1000 times happier. But I've decided that instead of being pissed and making do I'm just going to be mean and self-indulgent and ship the items I can't stand off to goodwill. It will be my hanukkah present to myself (for the record, the 3 items she purchased that I can't stand include:

1. a very expensive white poofy coat from GAP for the fusspot. However, the fusspot has 2 very practical non-white winter coats and I just don't see myself spending the time to wash a white toddler coat. I barely wear my own very fancy white winter coat because of the hassle.

2. The most hideous ever electric tea kettle. This was exactly what I wanted, and was totally clear to JD that there was one that I really, really wanted. Instead, yet again my in-laws purchased the cheapest one (this will be our 3rd in 3 years). While I realize that this is purely a functional item, it sits on my counter year-round and we use it daily and I really want one that is slightly less hideous

3. New sheets. 2 queen size sets of sheets. I love shopping for sheets, and we've had ours for 7 years and so I've been browsing TJ Maxx for months looking for the perfect set. Apparently my MIL got wind of that and bought us 2 very plain, solid color queen sheet sets. Obviously she didn't keep the receipt because I asked immediately. Here's the thing: I am about to nurse/cosleep with another baby in that bed and I really want a pattern on the sheets because they are going to get gross quickly. Plus, really, lavender sheets just aren't what I was looking for ...

So in all honesty I am pissed because the myriad of presents we received aren't exactly what I was looking for, but #1 is completely unnecessary and 2 and 3 were both items I've been shopping for for months and am particularly attached to the aesthetic. I am really hoping that it's only exhaustion which is making me this petty).

In conclusion, I am home. Tired. Grumpy. Self-centered and unthankful. But still glad to be home.

5 comments:

SS said...

Can you take the coat back to the gap? maybe at least for an exchange? the warmest jacket (if that's what it is) is a great jacket!

kate said...

AAAH! She cut Fusspot's hair? Eeek!

And seriously. Who buys a white coat for a toddler? I limit the white tee shirts I buy, and those can be readily and easily washed! Jeez.

I mean, it's sweet of her to think of you and everything, but household purchases are yours to make, or if not, then she needs to be very attentive to the restrictions you place on the items. Thanks for the tea kettle, but how about a non-crappy one?

Our sheets are so gross right now. I finally changed our sheets (much needed after a month or so...) and decided to put on my favorite, buttery-soft crazy high thread count sateen sheets, and while it's decadent and wonderful to sleep on them, frankly, they smell like pee and barf, after less than a week of use. So I feel all cuddly warm but every time I turn my head, there's a new foul odor to confront me. Great.

Glad you're home, glad she's fine, sorry you're grumpy, but I fully support therapeutic ditching of inappropriate gifts at your friendly neighborhood Goodwill.

Rachel said...

I would be grumpy, too. Just reading your post, I was imagining what I would think/feel in the same situation and you're probably handling it better than I would.

I could even look past the gifts but the hair...seriously? I agree with SS, perhaps you could try to exchange the coat or get a store credit?

I hope you get some rest and enjoy your family during the holiday!

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jenn said...

I agree that the gifts are one thing- exchanging/returning usually can work even without a gift receipt- especially before the mad after-christmas return rush. But the hair?! A child's first hair cut (and frankly- ANY haircut in my opinion) should be the domain of the parents! My poor pumpkin has crazy hair that is constantly in her face and I refuse to give in to bangs- way too much upkeep!
I'm sorry- you deserve to wallow in your grump a bit!
Hoping you are feeling better soon- and fusspots hair grows quickly!