Monday, December 27, 2010

A most lovely snowstorm

At long, long last it snowed yesterday. And it was lovely.

We cut short our time with the in-laws to head back into the city, arriving shortly after the snow started gusting via a very crowded train. I was a bit worried about taking public transport home alone with the fusspot and suitcase, but JD wanted to head straight in to work so I braved the crowds and was rewarded by finding our very own building superintendent in our subway car. He not only carried the sleeping fusspot up 3 flights of stairs and out of the subway but insisted on walking me all the way to the door of our building through the gusting snow with his own two adorable children in tow.

And then the fusspot napped (ok, fussed. But seriously, she had been kept up well past 10 pm by her grandparents every night of our visit so I was hardly expecting perfect behavior ...) while I sat on the couch and ate (the final leftovers of a very, very small) box of chocolates while watching the snow and hand quilting a rather doomed baby blanket (Note to self: consider either a. measuring correctly b. ironing or c. pinning the project if you want straight lines. Needless to say the final product will definitely look "homemade.")

When the fusspot had finally fussed her way back to sleep and woken up, we delved into our pile of seasonal books. Starting with the classics of course:

1. The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats
2. Snow by Uri Shulevitz
3. Tracks in the Snow by Wong Yee

and then a bit further into the pile with:

1. Beady Bear by Don Freeman (did this book used to be better?)
2. Too Many Mittens by Florence Slobodkin
3. Happy Birthday Moon by Frank Ash

We rode the elevator in our building for a good half hour, stood in the lobby and admired the mud, and I pretty much thought that I wouldn't really get to go play in the snow until tomorrow because of the gusting wind and grumpy fusspot until JD walked in the door at 7 pm (the Sunday after Christmas, need I add?) and at 8:05 two single (guy) friends called to say they were in the neighborhood and going out for a drink, should they walk by and pick me up? And so instead of being the poor, housebound dutiful housewife I threw on sweatpants over my pajamas and my favorite $10 imitation uggs and was very cautiously escorted out into the gusting wind for a hot chocolate (JD's parting words being "Just to warn you I won't be able to come rescue you if you get stuck in the snow" combined with "Definitely bring the big camera and tripod. It's gorgeous")

Of course, it helps that our daycare never closes (being a home daycare and all) and that I can work at home tomorrow, so thus far this storm is turning out to be perfectly lovely. Here's to hoping you enjoy it too.

No comments: