I keep reading lovely blog posts by pregnant women about how glad they are when their families come to help out ...
Through a long series of mishaps we landed up with no air mattress for visitors and due to the snowstorm and last minute rush, I just decided to borrow one off a friend and replace ours in the future. Which was fine and all because I am superwoman and carried a queen-sized air mattress home through the snowstorm on Monday ... except the jerk who last borrowed this particular mattress from my friend seems to have "misplaced" the cord. The power cord. The one that's pretty necessary to transform it from useless, heavy piece of plastic to mattress.
So naturally not only did I run out at 9:15 pm to buy a new one, but when I got home I not only:
a. apologized to said houseguests for "keeping them up late"
b. got to bleach the floor/highchair because the pee that would have normally been easy to wipe up immediately post-accident had already started to dry during my late-night shopping excursion (yes, I understand that the fusspot is quite ready to toilet train but the next person who facilitates her de-diapering without subsequently offering to clean up the inevitable mess is in serious trouble ... unless she is in a onesie with snaps she will take off her clothes and cloth diaper and use the potty which is lovely and all, except she then subsequently forgets that this is not a once-a-day adventure and I am in no mood for extra cleaning at the moment)
c. started a load of laundry to wash her 2 pee-soaked outfits from today because my guests were "too tired" to do so in my absence
Yeah, something tells me that paid help is the way of the future. Now, how much trouble do you think I'd get in if I suggest that what we'd really like in the way of gifts from families is cash for professional childcare?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Ugh. I'm with you - guests in the house mean at least 20 times more work. Even people who should know better seem to become 'helpless' when guesting. Hope it gets better...
I try to keep their intentions in mind, but yeah, family ends up usually being more trouble when you are pregnant/have a newborn than helpful. Even though everyone SAYS they want to help, they seem to do the opposite. And people tell you to relax and sleep and all of that, but they really mean for you to do it when they aren't around. You know?
Anyway, I hear you. It's frustrating and I see no way to change it. If you figure out a way, let me know!
Post a Comment