Sunday, September 19, 2010

Celebrating the little indulgences

It's been a tough two weeks. I have a big deadline coming up on Friday and JD has been equally stressed about work. But I think we've been doing a good job of carving out an hour or two to talk and take the fusspot to the playground over the weekend. Tonight I even sent JD and the fusspot home and went back to work from 7 pm to 11. Pure luxury. So in honor of Ms. Sprogblogger who is currently snuggled up to her new little guy, things I am grateful for on a Sunday evening:

1. A few hours alone in the library. At night. I am so much more awake and productive in the evening.

2. A lovely decaf cappuccino in Bryant Park last week before I went to write at the library. Bryant Park is my favorite park in the city, and the best time to be there is 9 to 10 am when it is still a little quiet.

3. JD's stunningly huge "goodwill" pile. He decided to go through all of his work shirts and t-shirts tonight, and while he may think that they're all off to goodwill I have every intention to transform at least 5 items, and maybe more, into baby clothes. There is nothing nicer than sewing with free, soft, pre-washed and worn fabric, especially when it has a print on it.

4. Pure indulgence in the form of a 2nd beautiful stroller. I had been looking at it before we found our dream stroller, and I saw one re-listed on craigslist this week so I made a low-ball offer which was accepted (with free delivery). It is a Jane Powertwin in Navy, and while I am not at all sure that it won't spend most of the spring at my in-laws, I do think that this stroller is ideal for 2 kids who can sit up, for grocery shopping in narrow aisles, and for folding into a car (you don't have to take the seats off to fold it, unlike the FirstWheels). It will also be nice to have a stroller at their house. I fully admit 2 double strollers in our mini-apartment is extravagant, but I am also super-excited that my super-low offer was accepted, and quite sure I can sell it at a profit should I change my mind.

5. A new neighbor who offered to babysit. I have 3+ evening meetings a month, and using a professional nanny as babysitter was getting expensive. And it seems a bit wasteful since I feed the fusspot and get her ready for bed so that I can nurse her, so most of what the babysitter has to do is to sit with her and then hang out. However, I think the fusspot's home daycare is too much stimulation at night so I want her at home, or close. The neighbor lives 2 doors down on our hall and has 2 school-aged kids and she's offered to watch the fusspot at her place in the evenings. Ideally I would like her to be at our place and have her kids run back and forth (it's about 15 feet from her door to ours, and her kids are plenty big enough to negotiate that alone if the doors are propped open) but we'll talk about that later. Tomorrow is our first attempt so let's hope it goes well since it would be really nice (she also needs the money and the fusspot loves watching big kids, so I have high hopes).

Ok, it's 11:30 pm and I'm not quite done with my work so I am off to finish.

No comments: