Saturday, November 28, 2009

Our first ER visit

was really not all that bad.
The fusspot, who actually has an incredibly sunny disposition, started fussing on Friday morning. She had a temperature so I took the day off and we snuggled in bed. And I thought that was the end of it until she spiked a 104.5 fever on Friday night.
Cue hasty jog to the ER.
2 hours later we were ready to leave with ta.miflu for both of us. Until I noticed tamif.lu here is given as a very bitter tasting powder. And at our apartment we keep only breastmilk and white wine in the fridge. Problem is that the fusspot won't take pumped milk when I'm around and apparently white wine is not the mixer of choice for tamif.lu. Over an hour later we had tried to get the fusspot to ingest the magical bitter white powder in OJ (no go - she'd never had it before and it's a bit acidic) and applesauce and finally in desperation sprinkled liberally directly onto the breast in the glass-walled lobby of a major hospital. Hello world, meet my breasts. I'd guess we got a half dose into her.
After a lovely 25 minute stroll we arrived safely home at 2:30 am.

The good news: she doesn't have swine flu. That would have been simply too absurd for her to both get the dreaded pox for a second time before her first birthday and swine flu the day after receiving the vaccine (and obviously before it had had time to kick in).
The bad news: She has the dreaded pox and RSV. And not exactly the normal mild case. So we're at home, in bed, nursing, and worrying.

But least I leave you on a sorry note, while out for a walk yesterday I saw this beautiful rainbow:

2 comments:

sarah said...

poor mommy! poor baby!

Wordgirl said...

Oh no! I'm thinking of you two -- I often check in to see how you are -- just wanted to delurk and wish you both a speedy recovery -- I know that Tamiflu really did the trick for me...

Best,

Pam