Seriously, you guys are awesome. I have readers who I had no idea had ever been to my blog (hi Lindsey!) and while I do feel a bit guilty rambling on when two of my most favoritest bloggers are recovering from miscarriages (please send your love to May and Rachel), today was one of those days ...
I went to an ex-pats parenting event tonight. Mostly to talk to other mothers, but also because the event itself seemed quite nice and laid-back. Short presentations by a few parenting experts and then you could sign-up to meet with them one on one (needless to say the sleep expert was horrified we co-slept and the language expert was not in the least surprised to learn that the fusspot has no discernible language skills yet ...)
Except of course the event started late enough that everyone could put their children to bed and then head out. Which of course I can't do. So I brought the fusspot along. Only baby there, of course (not to mention the embarrassment of bringing your wide awake not-yet one year-old in for a consult with a sleep specialist at 10 pm. But wait, it gets better).
I set the fusspot down so I could pore myself a glass of wine ... and she started to crawl and promptly face planted. I returned to pouring my wine, being very much of the philosophy that if the parent doesn't panic the child will stay calm after falling, until the mother next to me pointed out that the fusspot was dripping blood. Cue nosebleed of the week. Of course, I immediately snuggled her and started nursing her to calm her down. Not a big deal, I had a change of clothes for her and she was grinning away in under a minute. Except of course I'd sat down to nurse her and my entire crotch was covered in blood. Yes, I spent a full two hours socializing and learning about different parenting philosophies with dried blood all over the 'lap' of my light gray pants. Oh yeah, and the fusspot was not exactly cooperative of having her face wiped so she spent the rest of the evening looking like bar-brawl-baby extraordinaire. Classy parenting fail, I tell you. You may not be shocked to learn that while my friends/acquaintances were very polite, I made no new friends tonight.
In celebration of an upcoming birthday and your kind comments, I think I will devote this entire week to cute fusspot stories. And then presumably back to travel tales/IF musings/medical adventures following.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Wow. Classic!
I love the fusspot stories- I also pretty much only talk about the kiddo which is wierd, & awesome, & probably super boring to any readers I have left!
Not that I think you are boring at all- just saying I feel ya!
Oh honey- you just crack me up.
I would love updated fusspot pics!!
Glad you're back! :-)
Yay! So glad you won't be holding out on fusspot stories. And this was a good one. I can totally relate to that kind of experience. Sorry about the pants. Just the other day I spent an entire day running errands with a spit up stain ALL THE WAY down the back of my shirt. Cute.
Glad you came back
So happy to have you back! :-)
Oh! Poor fusspot! I'm glad she's okay, but I cracked up thinking of the baby face-plant. There's just about nothing cuter than a top heavy baby discovering that she's not as in control as she thinks she is... the lean, the rush of gravity, and... face on floor! Oh, NO! I mean, not that it's cute when babies hurt themselves, but they just seem to be so shocked that their tiny bodies cannot support their giant melons.
And yeah. Blood in crotch never looks good, even if you know it's actual source...
Post a Comment