Thursday, September 3, 2009

A practical question of the stinky kind

For those of you with babies or pets or very poorly-behaved guests, any suggestions on how to clean up after near misses on our baby toilet? Since this is a rental apartment, I can't do anything about the wall-to-wall carpeting in the bedroom (where we keep our baby toilet) or the elegant room-sized carpets upstairs.

Also, we have a leather couch and 2 leather armchairs which are at some point going to get peed on.

Any advice much appreciated.

3 comments:

jenn said...

I would put some wee-wee pads or the waterproof crib pads under the toilet. If she misses & gets the pad you can throw it in the wash & just toss when it gets too bad & it should save your carpet.

Not sure about the leather couches, except I would think that's going to be easier to just wipe down with some sort of cleanser/cloth than a cloth couch would be...

Good luck to you!

Dr. Rona Michelson said...

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but as a family therapist, mother of 5, grandmother of 29, both my knowledge and experience have shown that early training tends to be wasted effort. Many of the children end up wetting and soiling far later than those who train in the 2.5 to 3 year age range.

OK, I knew it wasn't what you wanted to hear, but I did want to offer you my experience. Good luck.

The Mama said...

Do you have any prefolds that you can put under the potty? I did that for a while, but with hard wood floors, it was just as easy for me to wipe it up with the prefold than leave the prefold under it (which my guys ended up wanting to play with... not sure if the Fusspot would try to play with it or not, but it's a thought).

Dr. Rona Michelson, you can't tell me that people waited to potty train until a child was three when they were washing cloth diapers for said child.... I am sure that they are out there, but I do not know a family that uses cloth diapers that ever had a child over about 26months that wasn't already potty trained. Also, what about all of the other countries that frequently potty train early?

Ugh. Sorry, Rachel, you do what you think is best.