but still. Any ideas on age-appropriate discipline for a 9-month old? My plan had been to go with a firm "No" (note the capital n) and otherwise ignore the offending behavior (to date, exclusively the deliberate and repeated removal of the fusspot's diaper by said fusspot) except that I made my friend's toddler almost cry with said technique. And the fusspot tends to just ignore it.
Any ideas? Anything that works? She's way too young for a timeout (which I do like in moderation) or any type of reward/treat, but I do want to let her know that I don't like it when she takes her diaper off.
Speaking of things I'd like, a long nap would be lovely. But I have way too much work to do tonight. And we have no food in the house at all so I need to go grocery shopping in the morning. And no fresh pumped milk, so I need to pump 10-15 oz. for daycare tomorrow. Fun!
And while we're on developmental stuff (and since my brain is clearly friend with 1 hours sleep and 12 hours in public in the past 24 hours), my baby has impressive receptive language skills. No sign of signing at all, but I made up movements to a little song I also made up (JD would like to note that I made up the words, there is as of yet no particular tune). I thought the fusspot was just imitating me when I did the motions, but yesterday when I sang the song while sitting still she danced away through our routine.
Which really does suggest that I ought to be able to think of a feasible way to telling her not to take off her diaper.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
We have used the "Naughty Spot" technique (used by Jo Frost on "Supernanny" t.v. show) since Lil Pumpkin was 16 months old. What you are doing sounds age appropriate for right now.
A thought on the Fusspot removing diaper ... Someone in our travel group to China (after we came home) reported that her toddler kept taking off her diaper in the.middle of the night. They solved the problem by putting a one-piece bathing suit on top of her diapered body, and then pajamas on top of that. Bathing suits are hard for little ones to remove. Just a thought.
Other than using the "No" technique, I would imagine that at her age, the best bet might be to find some way to just keep her from being able to do that particular activity, until she truly is old enough to understand that the particular activity is not okay. One of the moms in the daycare where I worked brought in this velcro belt thing that she asked us to use to wrap the top of the diaper, because her son was going through a nudist phase (though he was more like 18 months old at the time). I have no idea where to find one, but it helped to deter him because it was fruitless to even try to pull it off. Maybe you could use tape, or a belt of some kind? I don't know. Just something to keep her from being able to take off her diaper.
Here's to hoping you get some rest! Sounds like it's been a hectic few weeks for you guys.
She's very advanced if she's managing to get out of her diapers at 9 months. In between the inconveniences to you, I hope you have the odd burst of pride!
But, alas, you can't discipline a baby. They aren't cognitively developed enough to understand cause and effect in that way. Fusspot is far more about the instant gratification of getting her tushie free from all that padding. You'll just have to think of guerilla clothing tactics until she's old enough to get 'no!', by which time she'll be old enough to potty-train. (My littlest brother and sister spent from 18 months to 4 years stripping off completely and streaking through every public square, supermarket, coffee-shop and friend's living-room in town. Brace yourself).
I wish I had some good hints for you- the bathing suit one sounds pretty ingenious though! I was only going to suggest some sort of pants on backwards thing- like how the g diapers have the covers that hook in the back- but I imagine she would eventually figure it out. I think at her age a "No" followed by introducing an acceptable activity is about all they can deal with- but I'm working on 6 month discipline now- which means none at all!
I think "no" is reasonable. Gently, but firmly. And take her away from the offending object or action as you say it.
Of course, I say go diaper free - nekid time!
Post a Comment