Tuesday, September 8, 2009

little, quiet tears of frustration

On Friday there was a little click on the slowly-moving cogs in the brain. Highly suspicious that the fusspot's half-finished bottles go bad so very quickly when I take them home from daycare (not that I could use them anyway, but they often smell rancid by the time I do the dishes around 9 pm).

So today I asked. And smiled wanely and tried not to cry.

Despite my clear instructions the first week, despite a full information sheet, they've been microwaving my breastmilk. 3 months. 2-3 5 oz. bottles a day. 5 days a week. Wasted.

If you microwave breastmilk it loses all of its magical qualities. Keeps the calories but no more antibodies, etc.

And these are supposed to be fully-trained professional daycare workers? It is obvious from across the room that it is breastmilk (since I pump it the day or night before it has separated into cream and milk by 9 am the next morning).

I know, I was pumping mainly to keep up my supply for when we are together. But all that wasted time? And those missed nutrients? And especially when the fusspot is happy to take her bottles cold! I know you're not supposed to cry over spilled milk, but how about a little exception for microwaved milk?

6 comments:

Caro said...

oh man, I'd be pissed off.

jenn said...

I would also be super pissed! That's one of the biggest reasons that I am a-happy that I was laid off & can just exclusively BF for at least 6 months & b- that if (when?) I go back the hub will most likely be staying home with her which relieves those concerns.
I'm sorry you have to deal with microwaved milk!

Geohde said...

I'm so sorry. Hopefully they weren't microwaving it to the point that the proteins you pumped so hard for denatured.

g

peesticksandstones said...

Damn! I would totally feel the same way. I'm more protective of the pumped milk in my freezer than I am about my Ben & Jerry's.

Shinejil said...

Very, very frustrating. And so stupid on their part!

The Mama said...

Oh, Rachel. I'm so sorry! I really feel for you. Pumping is a lot of work, and to feel that it was not held so sacred by the child care provider would completely make me want to smack them! AND, I'm not *usually* a violent person! :-)

You did get it worked out so that they wouldn't do it again though, right?