Sunday, August 16, 2009

Reconsidering my love affair with Bu.mg.enius

My love affair with my cloth diapers has been well-documented here, from my appreciation of the aesthetic to the environmental benefits to my fights with my MIL over diaper cream ... but somewhere in the back of my mind I knew this love affair had to come to an end.

My least favorite child-minding related task is cutting nails. My least favorite child-developmental phase ever is the day/week/months when a toddler is old enough to take their diaper off and yet still young enough to think it is interesting to examine the contents. I'm not sure if I've mentioned that I lived as a nanny with a family with 2-year-old twins exactly. during. that. phase. Truly, I don't mind diapers. I don't mind bodily fluids. But there is something about the horror of turning to find a child has opened their own diaper and smeared the contents somewhere that just gets to me.

The BumGe.nius diapers have velcro in the front where the tape would be on a disposable. The velcro gets a bit worn over time and we have no dryer to "resticky" (the technical term, I believe) it. The fusspot has accidentally opened one side several times already. Today she unvelcroed one side of her diaper while I was choosing an outfit for her. I redid it, and turned back to the closet. When I turned around she had a totally gleeful look and had deliberately opened her diaper. And honestly, there is just so little "discipline" you can provide for an 8 month old. I said "No" slowly and clearly and she flashed me her whining grin.

Luckily, I think we have an alternative. I purchashed a stash of snap wonder.oos last week. They are British but very similar to "green a.cre" diapers in the U.S. So we'll see. They were super-cheap but have been used for 4 children already. I'm guessing I need to replace the liners or find something else to stuff them with. I really can't believe that we are at this phase already.

In other far more entertaining news, the fusspot has added a new piece to her public breastfeeding repetoire (for new readers, we are not the model of decorum - I have entirely given up on cover-ups and we feed in public all the time, in a country where people seem to rarely do so in non-baby areas). In addition to her usual enthusiastic panting before starting a meal, the fusspot has added a delightfully loud karate-style yell to punctuate her excitement. Needless to say it gets everyone's attention.

4 comments:

cd0103 said...

OMG-- you have to tape the karate yell!!

Ms. J said...

I am confused ... if you have no dryer, how do you clean your clothes? Are you line drying everything?

It all sounds so complicated.

Where do people breastfeed where you are?

And oh, how is the daycare going?

kate said...

Oh, Fusspot. You like to keep your mama on her toes, don't you?

jenn said...

I can just imagine trying to discipline an 8 month old- probably similarly frustrating to attempting to tell a 4-1/2 month old 'no!'