We have guests this week, so the fusspot and I are sleeping in the living room. Since I'm a bit queasy about her sleeping on an air mattress (feel free to chime in if you have any advice), I was just planning to share a twin-sized mattress on the floor of the living room. After all, it wasn't all that long ago that JD and I were sharing a twin-sized mattress (we still fit, for the record). But since we also happen to own a (very rarely utilized) crib, I grabbed the crib mattress and put it on the floor next to the twin mattress.
Some nights my constant companion, aka the fusspot, and I cuddle. Often we sleep a few inches apart, but with her hand casually resting on a breast. And then sometimes we are like siblings forced to share a hotel room bed: we roll our backs to each other and pretend the other doesn't exist. Yesterday night was the later. Which is how I came to spend the night curled up on a crib mattress while the fusspot slept, arms flung wide open, on the twin mattress. And very, very surprisingly I mostly fit on the crib mattress and it wasn't particularly uncomfortable. So you see my point: cribs are weird. There is just no way the baby needs a mattress quite that big.
And speaking of sleep, I should add that at least once a night I glance over to see my constant companion in her most adorable sleeping position: back arched so that she forms a crescent shape, lying on her side, both arms stretched straight ahead zombie-style (one resting on the mattress, the other dangling in the air) ... with her mouth wide open. If a spare boo.bie should happen to fall into bed - she's ready!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I totally agree that cribs are a giant waste of space most of the time.
IF we get past 30 weeks I will agree to the addition of an IKEA crib (small size!) to our home. It will fit in the teeny third bedroom we have that currently functions as an office and junk room.
Now that Caiden actually sleeps in her crib I think it's the perfect size since she's very mobile in her sleep. When she slept with us she scooted all over the place- we also did the sibling standoff position a few times, haha! She certainly likes the crib better than her bassinet/pack n play or the cradle she had when really teeny. The mattress is totally comfy too- I remember 'trying' it at 36 weeks pregnant & of course could not haul myself up right away. My sis graciously tried a few in the store to see which was most comfy- she thankfully chose well.
I like the crib since it does eventually change to toddler bed/daybed and then a full size headboard & saves us some $$$.
Our friends who stayed with us for my shower cosleep with their daughter & stayed on an air mattress at our house with her at 3-1/2 months. I think as long as it is inflated fully with no leaks & set up just like your regular bed- no fluffy cushions/comforter etc- it's just the same only nice & low to the ground. Although- thinking of a 7 month old hogging the 'big' bed from you is pretty hysterical!
HAHAH! I loved the "zoobie" sleep position! So cute! How is sleep going in general? Getting any better?
The sleeping position sounds adorable. I am a huge fan of our crib- we have a very tall and mobile baby- at 14 months old (and about 34") the pack and play is too small for him, and if he's in bed with us he kicks us all night. I was terrified of co-sleeping and rolling over and suffocating the baby- both my husband and I are very deep sleepers. We finally started doing it at about 8 months when he was sick. I wouldn't get any sleep terrified that he'd roll off our tall bed onto the hard wood floor. I guess I am the nervous type...
I love that Fusspot kicked you out of the big bed! That is too funny. She's already a strong woman! Good for you for raising an independent lady!
Your description of the Fusspot's sleeping habits are hilarious. I love that she kicked you out of bed!
Post a Comment