Friday, August 8, 2008

Funny

The stars aligned this morning.

The movers were late (i.e. I was ready when they got there).
A friend showed up to drop off a mix CD for us and just happened to be driving by the airport on his way out of town so he could drop my sister at the airport (no cab fare required).
And then, first time ever, JD's boss invited me to join them for lunch. At a super-elegant, fancy club. And the movers finished just in time that I could grab a pair of heels out of box as it left the door and fly out of the apartment to lunch.

And lunch was lovely, but there was one pretty funny moment. JD's boss is in his 80's. He is a bit conservative about people's personal behavior, and we were a bit nervous about having asked him to officiate at our civil wedding but not having had a chance to tell him about our little secret prior to the ceremony. And apparently he didn't even find out until a few days after the wedding. He told JD he'd heard the news and he didn't sound upset, but I can still imagine that this is not exactly the precise order of things he finds best.

He asked where we were off to today and JD explained that we're driving up to NYC, visiting his parents, dropping by some relatives 5 hours away and then flying off to our fabulous honeymoon. He must have said something about going hiking (I prefer to think of it as an extended stroll, but let's not quibble about names) because one of JD's coworkers exclaimed loudly "She's going hiking at 5 months pregnant!" and all of his co-workers snickered awkwardly as JD's studiously ignored the comment.

Now, it's quite obvious at this point that I have a bump but there's just no reason to focus on the exact math in certain company ;-)

But I must say, I've definitely 'popped.' Even the very drunk homeless man outside the bar yesterday night gave me a big thumbs up and wished me the best with 'the whole baby thing.' Hey, I'll take whatever I get in terms of good wishes.

I am feeling much, much better now that the apartment is packed, JD will shortly be dashing out of his office, running back to the apartment (all 1.5 blocks) to change into the jeans and t-shirt I have neatly set out in the now completely empty walk-in closet and then we're off! And I do want to say, thank you for all of your supportive comments. For all that my sister and I have slightly different styles, I'm sure that I was much shorter with her and more stressed this week because of finishing up my work and packing and arranging all the little details. I know that she means the very best, and I know that she's excited about my bump and that's what is really important to me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're feeling a bit better about your sister. Sometimes, even those we are closest to seem to get it wrong.

Did you ever find a bathing suit?

Rachel said...

Have a safe drive and great honeymoon. I hope it's relaxing for both of you!

Kristen said...

Hope you have a fabulous time!