Between the rain and several flights in the past few days I've seen quite a bit of TV coverage of the DNC and it seemed well-run and enthusiastic and mostly on-point (Bill Clinton's speech was fabulous today) ... until I looked at the newscast and saw "Live: Stay-at-home Mom." CNN's formal subtitle.
I thought it was a joke so I went to the DNC webpage. Nope. Beth Robinson, a stay at home mother, spoke after Bill Clinton. If you google her, it seems like she's a military wife, volunteer, mother, person living with disabilities - all sorts of interesting, relevant things. In fact, you can read her full comments online. They're pretty uninteresting, but certainly not focused on her employment status. They are about the challenges of military life. But nope, our DNC formally listed her exclusively as a stay at home mother. (Can you even imagine them doing that for a man? Next up: A working father.) Ugh.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Bothered me too.
Also really bothers me that they overlooked someone mocking one ethnic group, but attacked another who made a remark about another.
Post a Comment