Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Little annoyances

In a moment of frustration earlier today I somehow bashed my finger. It hurts.

JD and I always go out on Tuesday night. All his friends showed up tonight. And yet, here I am at home with my sister because she was tired (and perhaps freaked out by going out downtown -she tried to wander off alone to take photos so I had to mention the serious shooting in our favorite bar last month. But people, that's real life - you don't give up on the downtown of a city because of a few random shootings. Remember, we live in NYC normally ...)

It's not me, it's definitely my breadmachine. It's broke. And I really don't have the time to deal with returning it now (or in the next 6 weeks, really). But it just never shuts the heat off so unless you are standing next to it and unplug it at just the right moment it burns everything. I thought the whole purpose of this machine was to throw the ingredients in and leave. And I was home tonight and could have turned it off but I didn't even think to look at the timer. So there goes tomorrow's breakfast.

I have finally found the smell that makes me sick to my stomach. And I really feel bad admitting this because it's not her fault. But, um, tampons in a loft apartment with little ventilation. So awkward. I'm sitting in bed now and it still smells overpowering (and yes, I took the trash out an hour ago and no, I don't own a trash can with a lid - I don't usually have this issue).

I'm stressed about work. JD is stressed about finishing his job this week. We have friends we want to say goodbye to. This really wasn't the best time for my sister to visit, but she also hasn't visited me since I was in college (ok, not that long ago, say about 5 years) so I didn't think it was reasonable/strategic to just tell her that this was a bad time. The movers come Friday morning, she flies out Friday afternoon, and I should have an hour or two to relax before JD and I leave town. He will probably be morose because he hates transitions and packing and moving (ok, not so much hates - doesn't relish like me) and I will be exhausted and sad about the little things I didn't get to do the final week like visit my favorite bookstore or walk 8 blocks to buy vegan chocolate chip cookies (I think the round-trip walk makes this a net benefit for my figure despite the cookies at the other end) because I had company. And so much for eating the contents of the fridge - we went out for a (cheap) dinner tonight because JD worked late and my sister didn't want to eat the meat meal we cooked yesterday night.

I know I'm whining, I'm probably just tired. And tomorrow we're off to visit some of my favorite relatives who just happen to live near the beach (ok, final whine. They also live 1.5 hours away and my sister doesn't want to drive 'our car.' I really don't want to get stuck driving at least 3 hours tomorrow. JD and I always split the drive and it's so much more reasonable that way). But this week will be over soon enough - let's just hope I have the energy left to move, finish up my schoolwork and start our fabulous honeymoon in better spirits than I am now.

2 comments:

Antigone said...

Certain scents are making me sick as well.Still. I'd hoped by second trimester I'd be less sensitive. Tampons? Yeah those would make me ill.

On another subject, I've tried vegan baking with little success? Cookies? What do they use in lieu of eggs?

Anonymous said...

Ugh...that just sounds like a nasty smell. I hope you vist with your sister goes smoothly. Take care of yourself. You are the one who is pregnant, ya know? :)