Tuesday, August 26, 2008

23 weeks 2 dpo and ... maybe, a kick!

Having made it well past 23 weeks without any clear kicking/movement and having been told since week 18 by various medical professionals that it would -this week- I had 2 scenarios in my mind tonight:

a. Something is terribly wrong. My last ultrasound was at 16 weeks. It has been way too easy to control my weight gain (something that has never been easy in my life). Clearly there was some type of restricted growth going on (or worse) and I should plan on spending Sunday morning (when I hit the doomed 24 weeks Drs. Google suggest as the -very last point- to feel movement) in an ER in Utah getting scanned ...

or

b. I am not yet an earth mother in touch with my body and I have been too tired/stressed/busy/distracted to notice any movement. Oh, and I also fall asleep within about 5 minutes (seriously) of getting into bed so maybe I'm just sleeping through it (did I mention we're traveling? And even when not hiking I think we spent at least 4 hours yesterday and today walking plus a trip to the pool to swim laps ...). But this option just does not bode well for trusting my body.

But what could possibly confirm my failure as a gestating mother more than having JD feel the kicking at the same time as me? Or notice it before me?

So, just about exactly 23 weeks, 2 days and 2.5 hours post-ovulation, sometime shortly after customs had cleared us to reenter the U.S. aboard the Vancouver-Seattle evening Amtrak, I thought I felt something. And JD, being bored, put his hand on my stomach to check. Which is to say within about 5 minutes of noticing something weird going on in my stomach JD confirmed that it felt like kicking.

So, dear loyal readers, is that possible? Could I really have not noticed anything until now and is it feasible that JD would be able to feel movement at the same time as I first feel it? It was also quite high up - almost belly button level? Is that possible?

Excited, embarrassed, and greatly relieved that there still appears to be something going on in there.

ps - If you haven't read my post from yesterday and are catching up on blogs quickly, please consider glancing at it.

4 comments:

Samantha said...

Yay for kicking! Must be a relief.

I did also find your post from yesterday very interesting. It's always fascinating to learn about the background of other bloggers.

Io said...

I know less than nothing about the kicking thing, but as long as the kid is now kicking (gently I hope) I say hoorah! even if JD got to feel it at the same time. Kinda cool actually.

Rachel said...

Yay!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you feel the kicking! I just caught up on your last post, and very impressed with the both of you and your relationship! JD sounds fantastic!