Nothing. No bubbles, gas pains, kicking. Nada.
And I was honestly doing ok with it. Remember, I've been focusing on embracing my inner earth-mother. Dr. Google says that anytime between 16 and 24 weeks is fine, and that it may be on the later side with a first pregnancy.
But then yesterday the midwife (not my midwife, her partner, she was at a delivery) seemed very, very surprised by the lack of kicking. She quickly dopplered me and assured me all was well, but then really freaking me out by asking me to call in when I first felt movement (my next appointment is not for a month because of all this travel. In fact, it's the very night I return to NYC).
So maybe I wasn't meant to be a midwife patient. I thought that I would have the best of both worlds with an ob/gyn through the first trimester and half of the second trimester because I was in City X and then a midwife for the third trimester and delivery. But now? Not so sure.
The midwife assured me that the baby is fine because of the doppler heartbeat and the anatomy scan (um, 5 weeks ago) and my weight gain. But that calm lasted for all of about 10 seconds. Am I wrong in thinking that you can't tell restricted growth without an ultrasound? What if the baby is already falling behind while I try to meditate and eat granola? What if I have a serious nutritional deficiency (yes, that reminds me, time for another GI appointment as soon as I'm back). What if my co.rt.is.ol is restricting growth? Shouldn't we do something about that before 26 weeks when I next see the midwife (that would be practically the 3rd trimester)?
The midwife went so far as to suggest that 'larger' women might feel movement later. Now, I know I have ginormous breasts but I weighed 129 lbs when I got pregnant. I don't think that exactly qualifies as 'larger' at 5'4". I'm curvy, but I will not take the label of fat for my 129 lbs (which I fought very, very hard to put back on thank you very much. I was not a pretty sight at 95 lbs and shrinking).
I asked if there were any tricks to feel the baby move and she suggested sitting still on the couch after dinner. Here I sit, no movement. And I asked if drinking OJ would help, but she said that's really a trick for a much larger baby.
So I'm trying to think positive thoughts. And not even consider a quick little ER run during our trip. But at one point should I panic? 24 weeks? Before?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
If you're not happy with the level of care, perhaps you should go to an OB. It sounds like it would be primarily for your peace of mind, but that's worth a great deal!
I'm sorry she made such a big deal of everything only to tell you everything is fine...that just doesn't seem like good bedside manner.
Whenever I have doubt, I lay on my belly on the bed and wait. Pressure or something else is disturbing its sleep probably, but I feel relieved... Might help you too.
129 lbs? You CANNOT be called larger...sorry. You could still have an anterior placenta, though. I might still try to get a u/s with an OB just to get a little reassurance, even though I am sure all is fine.
I agree with docgrumbles. I remeber there was a blogger years ago whose mother couldn't ever feel her move because of the postion of the placenta.
My guess is that you'll probably feel it any day. I think I felt it right around where you're at now, and once I recognized it as movement, I realized I'd been feeling it for a good week or two.
But if you're uncomfortable with the approach of the mid-wife or think you might have some complications going on, maybe it's worth switching to an OB for piece of mind.
When I went to feel him move, I lay on my back and press around my belly button and that usually gets a response. Or I lay on my side, leaning a little on my tummy and that seems to bug him and get him kicking. Maybe one of those tricks will work for you.
Post a Comment