Just a quick note to say that things are going much better here. We all survived the bris (only one relative stormed out of my apartment later in the day, which really isn't all that bad considering) and also made it down to see the occupational therapist and try to work on the dumpling's latch. By the end of an hour appointment his chomping was much improved, and now we hopefully hopefully hopefully just have to figure out how to feed him sans bottles for the next few days while my breasts recover.
In other news, it is simply glorious to have JD home for a week (he took this week as vacation, still saving his leave for later). Not only are he and the fusspot out at a museum now, but he's been cleaning and running interference with relatives (both sides of the family misbehaving at the moment, but I suppose that's to be expected in these situations) and just generally around. He's also learning all sorts of things about everyday life here like where we keep clean socks and stroller raincovers, the type of things that people who work 60 to 80 hours a week somehow don't know. And it makes me so happy to think that we might be leaving the big city in a year or two, and have the type of life where we're both home for dinner at 6 at least a couple of days a week.
Baby photos and such in the next post.
Oh, and a question for my dear readers. I want to get our neighbors a gift for watching the fusspot on no notice when I went into labor, and for coming to crash on our couch so that the fusspot could sleep in her own bed. I'll certainly pay them for the hours of babysitting, but any thoughts on gifts? I'd love to think of something NYC-related. We are thinking of tickets to the top of the Empire State Building, but can you think of anything better? The family has 2 young elementary school-aged kids and just moved to the big city this year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I'm glad things are improving. Ah...relatives. They never change. Your gift idea is perfect.
Only one relative stormed out? I feel almost disappointed, or at least cheated out of the drama! Hee hee.
Great news about dumpling's latch (is that his new blog name, instead of bargain baby?)
WOW, and JD home this much?! It's gotta be very odd (but wonderful).
Again, Mazel!
Sounds like everything is coming along nicely! Glad you have JR this week, that must be a huge comfort! How about a children's museum? If my little city has a decent one NY's must be awesome! I still haven't had any conversations with the grandparents about what is going to happen with visits this time around... not looking forward to that!
Someone once sent me an Edible Arrangement as a thanks for babysitting. I had thought they were pretty, but had expected it to taste terrible. To my surprise, the fruit was fantastic. My family gobbled it down in a day. Especially since the weather is still iffy, some nice fresh fruit may be greatly appreciated.
Another idea, though also a little hokey, is Eleni's Cookies. I can't speak to the tastiness of these, but they sure are adorable. And also, made in NYC.
My breast-recovery suggestion, if you're still working on it: feed the dumpling on one side while you rest the other side. (Well, pump it, but don't feed directly from it.) It'll probably be better in 48-72 hours. This early in the post-partum period, you probably have enough milk in one breast to keep the dumpling happy for 2-3 days, but if not, you'll probably only need ~1 bottle a day of the pumped milk to supplement. When the one side is better, switch around and let the other breast rest and heal for the next 2-3 days. My LC suggestion this method for me and Kermit, and it worked fabulously. In less than one week, both breasts were completely healed, and I needed a grand total of 3 bottles.
Mazel Tov!
Post a Comment