On the last day of my 20s I ...
- had sushi for lunch
- went to a local deli and got a slice of crumb cake
- was interviewed for a small, weekly newspaper
- wore my pajamas out to daycare pick-up
- discovered another friend is leaving the city for the other coast, probably never to be heard from again
- spent 20 minutes coaxing a 2 year old to walk home through the hail
- realized that I probably have caught the dreaded PPD and there's nothing I can do about it right now
It's also a bit sad that the 2 things that I'm most excited about tomorrow are: 1. eating a cupcake. Or two. No party, no cake at home. Just me and the dumpling heading out to buy cupcakes. And 2. a weight check for the dumpling.
Last year the fusspot and I headed out to our local bar in Lalaland to celebrate my birthday with friends. We stayed out until almost midnight, which wouldn't have been a big deal at all had we not had to leave at 4:30 am the next morning to vacate our apartment and start our 24 hour trek from Lalaland to India. 9 years ago, still slightly tipsy from a shared bottle of Cuban rum, I boarded a boat from Europe to N. Africa on the morning of my birthday - all excited to see a new continent and find my new apartment. 7 years ago I woke up to a huge box in JD's apartment. The box was my beloved wheelie suitcase (no more gym bags as carry-ons), inside of which was a bathrobe, and in the pocket of that was a Tiff.any's box.
I have received the only 2 presents I'm expecting, and it's probably just a sign of the PPD that 99% of me thought bother, another thank you note to write, rather than yeah a $20 check. JD has given no indication of making plans. He'd mentioned weeks ago maybe doing something next month (like dinner) when it's easier to nurse the dumpling out, so I guess he might still surprise me. And yes, of course I know that I am incredibly lucky. I have a wonderful partner, 2 healthy, happy babies. A partially completed dissertation and possibly enough pennies to get me through finishing the rest of it in the next year. But still, when a weight check ranks #2 on exciting events on your big birthday ... eh.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Would you send me your direct email? I would like to send you a baby present.
A happy birthday to you- I am sorry it isn't more exciting or flashy, but just think- now the big 3-0 can top it instead of being one to dread! I think I was pregnant, but not quite showing, for my 29th. Also for my 31st- so no real fun on either of those. But 30 made up for them & now we get to look forward to handmade cards & presents & disgusting breakfasts lovingly put together by our kids.
Enjoy your cupcakes- have one for me! And I hope you are feeling better soon. If you would like a little something... e-mail me your address!
Happy BDay, sweetie. I'm sorry it's a bit of a downer on some fronts.
I think PPD creeps up more easily when one is also managing an active toddler/preschooler at the same time. I know it did for me!!!
I, too, have been wanting to send Big Sister a little something, as you did so sweetly for my girl, but haven't yet found just what I wanted to send yet. But soon, I promise.
Please email me if you need to directly vent - you know I am here and will agree ;o)
Post a Comment