Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Just hoping

that the worst part of tomorrow is having to squeeze into Spanx at 7 days postpartum (even I have a little pride while hosting a party, and let me assure you that there is no alternative) and has nothing to do with juggling my family.

Of course, it's also a bit frustrating that I lost today's naptime and will inevitably lose tomorrow's only window for a nap to racing around NYC to breastfeeding clinics. Huh? you say. I know, I know. You'd think after 23 months of nursing and after a slightly under 3 month break I'd have this down. And that's basically what I thought. I also remembered that lots of people complain about pain the first week or two.

So it hurt to feed the baby, not a big deal. That is until JD reminded me that I both (apparently) have a high pain tolerance and also have exceedingly little feeling in my breasts (quite standard for women as large as I am, which is to say a G-cup pre-pregnancy). And then I noticed that the baby was spitting out mouthfuls of blood after latching on. So yeah. I went to a breastfeeding support group today because my LC (you remember, the one who got us through 3 weeks of a baby who wouldn't latch without resorting to bottles and who I then checked in with almost every month for the next 2 years) didn't pick up her phone yesterday night and I panicked that she might be on vacation or something else awful just when I needed her. Turns out she's moving, but she was back today and I trust her so much more than the woman I saw today. Basically, we're worried that the baby is some sort of "tongue tied." The LC today said that his latch felt very tight, but she couldn't be sure. So tomorrow hopefully (post-bris) I will run out and catch my LC between her other appointments, and Friday we're off to see the same OT who saw the fusspot for an evaluation.

And then Saturday night my LC will come visit us again if we're still having problems. In the meantime, the glass bowl* is back out on the counter and JD is "topping up" the baby with an eyedropper in order to avoid bottles.

* We have a 'glass bowl' because I feed the baby and pump, and I do not wash pump parts. Except when JD and I are living in separate places, I just pile all of the pump parts into the glass bowl. And there they sit until JD has time to wash them. Often for days. It is so worth the investment in many, many sets of spare parts to me to never have to wash pump parts. Both because of the hassle, and symbolically, it is one little thing we can do to make sure that we are both involved.

No comments: