Sunday, March 13, 2011

Bother bother bother

Fever of 103.5 Argh!

And of course, the very same issues which kept me from taking your run-of-the-mill penicillin to treat the Strep pre-delivery will prevent me taking any antibiotic at home. The alternatives?
a. steroids and pump and dump. Buy formula for 10 days or so. If it works, all's well. If baby never latches on again exceedingly grumpy me commits to pumping for a year. Bother.
b. in-patient to monitor IV antibiotics (with baby! whee! healthy baby enters ICU and ...)
c. nurse, nurse, nurse. Ibuprofen. Suffer. Hope for the best.

Right now we're on option C, but we'll see if that changes in the morning.

The good news is that we did this 3 times with the fusspot (left clogged duct/mastitis/fever of over 105 left untreated 3 times) and it all worked out for the best. The bad news is that 2 of those incidents involved me calling campus police to indicate that:
a. I was too sick to drive my car home
b. not being a student, they could not escort me to the hospital
c. I would be taking the subway home with my darling baby in arms just as soon as I'd finished paying the babysitter and my 3 hour lecture ...

In the meantime, baby is lovely and everything else is going exceedingly well. Even had a newborn photographer come over this morning (I really did splurge! Despite not being able to cough it up for a prenatal massage for the full 9.5 months, I splurged on a photographer! Of course, she showed up at 9 am when we'd said 10 am. Time change, huh? So I'll certainly be looking my very best after a 2 minute shower and no breakfast or even chapstick applied ...)

JD is back to work in the morning and the very relative who stormed out should arrive midday. Whee! Angry relative staying in 600 square foot apartment. Wish us luck ...

4 comments:

jenn said...

So... you are going to be sick & alone during the day with an infant, a fusspot & you are taking in an angry relative? Man- good luck! I hope you are feeling better soon & don't need to either suffer long or go to the hospital with the precious new dumpling! (I love that nickname by the way!)

Amanda said...

Sorry about the mastitus. I've been there too. Luckily my baby could suck the paint off a car so he nursed it out of me pretty effectively (of course, if he didn't have such a death latch I probably wouldn't have gotten it in the first place).

MyRoseAmongThorns said...

if you would recommend the photographer, can you pass his/her info along? thanks
mazel tov!

Anonymous said...

The only thing I don't understand is why you couldn't take antibiotics at home? I had mastitis with Emma and was given some third generation cephalosporin (I can look up which one if you'd like) that was deemed safe. I felt better after THEE first dose. Mastitis was AWFUL for me and I can't imagine leaving it untreated. Not just the pain, which was awful, but the all over sick as a dog feeling, and I don't have nearly as much on my plate as you do.