Sunday, October 11, 2009

Since I rant about unfortunate comments so frequently ..

the fusspot and I were at a Sunday lunch today and one of the moms was complaining about the cost of childcare while a full-time student and made some off-hand remark about how none of us quasi-single moms had 'planned pregnancies.'

And I just said rather quietly: "We did. In fact, we had to wait a month to raise our Amex credit limit before we could start."

Which immediately turned the conversation to my insides and stuff. And one of the woman said two really nice and really appropriate things. She said "It is just really unfair that some women can't get pregnant" and "It's nice that your daughter will know how much she was wanted when you tell her what you went through."

Just really kind comments and not the type you often hear.

And then a few minutes later I realized that all of these other women had been there to witness each other's births. And listening to them I was just starting to think how nice it would be to be able to support another woman during delivery ...

So when another friend later tonight asked if I'd come during her labor to hang out, I said sure. Not sure if I meant it, but we'll see. At least I can still shock myself occasionally.

1 comment:

Caro said...

How refreshing to get good comments - not that it should be refreshing.

I think it would be very cool to be at someone else's birth too - not sure if I ever will be but...