I don't think I've ever gone this long without posting. I've been in a bit of a funk. A funk that really should have been cured by 2 weeks vacation in the U.S. and seeing JD. But that's not exactly how things worked out.
Just before we left for NYC I wrote and then immediately deleted a funny post about what an obsessive first-time mom I am. The type who sees three little spots on her daughter's arm, starts googling obsessively, and diagnosis her with the dreaded chick.en pox. I then called and woke my mom up at 5 am to consult, and she assured me that if there were only 3 spots and no more after 2 days it couldn't be the pox.
So I went back to Dr. Google and self-diagnosed spider bites, and then spent hours vacuuming and dusting (which was probably well needed). I did decide to cancel my lunch with a preggers friend, but rescheduled a playdate with a new acquaintance and her 2-year old.
All I can say is like moths to a flame. New-friend asked me about more children, and like normal I started in on my IF rant. New-friend smiled and told me she knows all about it because they did clomid and IUIs for months and finally got pregnant the month after they stopped. And WHEE! she's pregnant again! And she even got pregnant before and lost the baby but WHEE! she can get pregnant without drugs. And maybe I'll just 'get lucky' someday too. Needless to say I haven't been so keen to schedule a follow-up playdate here.
Fast forward to daycare drop off 24 hours before our scheduled departure for NYC (on a bus, a train, and 2 planes all filled with healthy, innocent bystanders). I walk into the fusspot's room and realize that she does indeed have the dreaded pox because 6 of her classmates are covered head to toe in oozing pox. Apparently here in Lalaland the pox is considered a normal childhood disease, they don't vaccinate, and they certainly don't send babies home from daycare with it ... even though the fusspot is in a room with 4 newborns (I can almost hear the gasp from across the ocean). So the pox it was, and I spent hours on the phone with her American pediatrican ("make sure to put her in long sleeves and a hat in case she breaks out more on the plane") and her local doctor ("I wouldn't say she's not contagious per se, but have a lovely va-kay") and feeling horribly, terribly guilty (sidenote: do non-vaccinaters feel guilty when they bring their sick children into public with potentially life-threatening diseases?). The problem is that I was using the return half of an early ticket and then the first half of a new return ticket to NYC and neither airline would budge on their rebooking fee and I really don't have an extra $2000 lying around, so not going would have meant not seeing JD for a full 8 months.
(The conversation went something like this: "I am about to bring my highly contagious baby on your flight. She could pose a serious risk to your other customers and flight attendants. I would like to reschedule - can you lower your fees at all?" "Nope - shoudda bought travel insurance woman" "Dude, can't buy travel insurance for a lapchild in the U.S." "Hahah, sucks to be you")
Bet you didn't know that diarrhea is a common side-effect of the pox in babies. It was a fun flight. I am eternally grateful that we were seated near no potentially-fertile woman on either flight (we were in fact surrounded by businessmen) so that I did not need to have that super-de-duper-awkward conversation ("Hi. I'm irresponsible parent just wondering if you might possibly be pregnant and if so about to recommend that you move seats immediately because my fusspot is currently in the highly contagious phase for a disease that could be serious for you." I will admit that since we've returned to Lalaland and since the pox epidemic seems to have spread through my entire city I am rather relieved to see pox-infected babies at the library, the supermarket, the fair - so apparently they just have a completely different notion about it.)
After a bus, a train ride, a 2.5 hour wait in an airport, a flight, a sprint through airport #2 to flight #2, a long transatlantic flight I got off the plane at JFK to discover that JD was 'working late' and I was greeted by my in-laws. My MIL coos over the fusspot, then turns to me and says "You look tired. I beat you'd be less tired if you stopped breastfeeding." Sigh.
Obviously we couldn't exactly hang out with our baby-friends in NYC for the first week. And JD was working. But we went down South to see my parents and saw the awesome Kate. Although my mother insisted on severely restricting who we saw during the holidays and where we went.
And then we went back to NYC and I woke up one morning with a bright red rash on my stomach. Yup, I got the pox. And guess what makes the adult pox even worse? If you are breastfeeding a baby who likes to touch and kick and scratch your ever-so-itchy stomach. Awesome. So then we canceled all of our rescheduled playdates, including seeing this incredible woman). And for the record, not only did I have the pox vaccine, but I actually had my titers checked pre-IF treatments because I truly am that obsessive.
So you get the idea of problem #1 with the visit: the pox.
Problem #2: JD.
I am starting to wonder if I have somehow stunted my darling husband's transition from single guy to new father by absconding abroad with the fusspot. Since I take care of the fusspot alone here in Lalaland, I had presumed (and stated rather clearly) that I expected this to be a vacation and for JD to take over a lot of the basic daily care (like diaper changes, meals, cutting her naisl, baths and getting up in the morning). And hence our problem. JD just didn't live up to my expectations, particularly when it came to getting out of bed. To be precise, I got to sleep in 2 days during my visit. Two days. That's it.
I did succeed in not cooking for 2 weeks straight, but that's something I can almost achieve here by just resigning myself to eating toast and hard-boiled eggs. It's the extra sleep I was really looking forward to, and it didn't happen. And I had also e-mailed JD and list of things to do in preparation for our arrival, like, say, clean. And yet there were bunny-sized dustballs on the floor so I landed up spending hours cleaning on my vacation. And the honest truth is I resent it. And he resents that I don't appreciate how hard his job is and the crazy hours he works and that he feels like he has to stay at this job to support the fusspot and I (and to pay back his crazy student debts. When his friend said something about "oh, like $50,000" and we both laughed because that would be a point of major celebration). And while I know that his job is far from ideal, he still usually gets a full day per week off. And he can sleep in every day (many professional jobs in NYC start much later than the rest of the world). And he can shower everyday. And read the news in peace. And just up and decide he wants to go out for a drink after work and do that. Alone.
So we are both resentful. Although conscious enough that JD was quite clear that we need to work on our marriage. And then I packed up a suitcase of yummy American food (baking powder! chocolate chips!) and headed back to Lalaland with a healthy fusspot and a very itchy stomach. And 48 hours after returning to her daycare the fusspot started literally dripping snot every couple of minutes.
So much improved, but send kleenex.
And you really ought to get a prize for reading to the end.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I don't know how you ~could~ have your relationship/parenting an ocean apart without a ton of work on both parts. Kudos to you for realizing it - even while miserably sick with sick baby! The hub will be staying home with her & is currently working on & from the house now in his last 2 weeks of 'freedom' and I am full of resentments about that. I hate that I am the one to try & bottle/cup train her for me going back to work while he roams the house & garage fixing things... All that to say I think it is normal to have some resentment for the other person's parenting/relationship role.
I hope all gets better soon
Ugh. I am so sorry you feel rotten. I think Dooce was just posting about this, except that it was the reverse-- she picked up shingles and was trying to breastfeed without rubbing her 3-ish month old (thus not-yet-immunized) daughter against the shingle-scales on her belly.
And yeah, the husbands just never fully get it. I wonder how it will be when I am at home with our future child. Will H get that mothering is 24-7 and that even though he works to pay our bills, that we still need to co-parent in the hours in which he isn't working? Somehow, I doubt it. He's an incredibly kind person, but it's like he just doesn't understand how to walk a mile in someone else's shoes. He is very sweet, but he is not the slightest bit empathetic. He just seems to lack the ability somehow.
So while I'm not yet in your boat, I can foresee myself there, and so I can relate to the worry about "will he ever understand what I'm going through???"
I really hope you and fusspot feel better soon.
Everyone I've spoken to has these issues with their husband. I think they always think they are doing more than we think they are.
Sorry to hear about the pox - I'm dreading the 18½ hour flight I'm about to take with T but at least he hopefully won't be sick.
My husband and my career choices have caused us to have numerous separations in the past (although not with children and only one as long as yours). I always look forward to reuniting even though it pretty much NEVER meets my expectations. Sometimes it goes smoothly upfront, only to crash later and sometimes the rough stuff begins at the airport and lasts for a couple days before we return to normal. The only constant is that there is always an adjustment period. I wish--oh, how I wish--we could learn a technique to orchestrate our reunions in order to not go through this but I really don't see that happening.
I hate airline fees and I hate travel insurance (because even when you need to use it, it's difficult to say the least). Today I need to buy tickets and I'm currently procrastinating because I HATE spending the money.
I am so glad you both made it without major incident. Let's hope the sniffles fade away soon!
Oh honey! (This is SUCH an Oh Honey post where I turn into my mother) That must have been awful trying to negotiate all that travel with the sick fusspot, and then to not have JD step it up? I'm glad he recognizes he needs to step it up and hope it is better next time.
Oh Rachel! I'm just catching up on my blog reading now, and wow, I'm so sorry! What a crazy trip.
Post a Comment