Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Trying not to cry

I am not usually this emotional, or this caught up in the details of the bureaucracy of my university. But today it just feels like they're kicking me while I'm down.

I had 2 jobs lined up for this fall. I lost one earlier this week due to a bureaucratic mistake.

The second one was with the feminist studies institute. I was supposed to be paid $6,000 for a year-long internship. But whoops, they messed, did they say $6,000? They meant $1,200. I know, it's not a life-changing difference and we'll just dig a little deeper into debt in the spring, but it's hard to keep a straight face when they just 'don't understand' why I'm so upset. I had earmarked all of that money for childcare in the spring. It may not be enough for full-time daycare, but it's a lot of hours of ad-hoc babysitting or sharing somebody else's nanny. And now I don't have it, and it's way too late to find an interesting, flexible job for the fall and I really don't want to even consider a second job in the spring. And it just all-round sucks because this is one of the few organizations I expected to understand the situation and did not get all the details of my job offer in writing.

I guess I shouldn't be that surprised that it's the feminist institute that is making my life hell in the spring. All idealistic organizations at universities tend to be poorly administered. It's just that a nice, polite apology for screwing me over would have made me feel so much better. That, or telling me sometime before September 9th that they basically can't pay me.

ps - I usually try not to post about my program because it is such a small program that basically any detail might give away exactly what I do and where and I don't want my colleagues to find it. But this kind-of gets to me as a political issue more than an academic one. JD keeps talking about how I would have legal rights about all of these 'miscommunications' if I worked outside of academia.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm sorry...that's certainly not fair and it's doubly frustrating that they are not understanding.

Perhaps it will prompt you to do some interesting research on the difficulties faced by working mothers?

Rachel said...

Unfortunately I don't work on anything related to the past couple hundred years ...

Rachel said...

Bummer. Will it at least look good on your resume?