I read a brief article yesterday night which was basically a polemic pro-midwifery. And it made me surprisingly pissed. Of course, there's the obvious. Without the incredible talent of my 3 RE's, a battery of tests and much intervention I wouldn't be in this state.
But then, there's the more immediate annoyance. The article basically suggested that midwives are more caring and compassionate and concerned about the individual experience of their patients, which is not my experience at all (and yes, my midwife comes very, very highly recommended). I understand midwives have really tough jobs. And when they work in an office of 2 they obviously can't answer their voicemail every day. But my RE's office always got back to me within a day or two, especially if I called twice. The midwife? Never returned a call as far as I can remember until I've left at least 3 messages. Absurd as it is, I didn't get my GTT results until I was basically through security and within 20 minutes of boarding an international flight (and after 5 calls at that point). I feel bad paging her if she's in a delivery or meeting with another patient, but I need to talk to her tomorrow.
And would it be so much to call me back today when I left a message yesterday basically indicating I was panicked? I know I might be a better candidate for a high-risk ob/gyn, but the fact is that they won't let you 'opt in' to their practice in NYC so until something goes really wrong I don't have that option and no regular ob/gyn has room for me (nor is that what I want for the actual delivery). I return to NYC at 8 pm on Sunday night and I want my u/s, NST or growth scan scheduled for Monday before my 6 pm midwife appointment. And at this point I think that's reasonable. Alternatively of course, we could pop into just about any ER between now and then have it fully covered by my insurance. I'm honestly not sure what my hesitation is at this point, but I have no intention of waiting past next Monday for some reassurance that all is well.
Ok, done ranting.
In other news, let it be public record that I have informed JD that the first accident is all his to cover up and later clean up. Nope, I'm not talking about some theoretical toilet training incident in a few years. I'm talking about the state of my poor bladder while hiking at high altitudes in desert-like conditions (i.e. no way to duck behind the bushes, the visibility is just too good and I have to drink at least 4 liters for even a short hike). And JD still persists on sneaking up on me to kiss me, poking my backside, exclaiming loudly ... I see a mortifying disaster looming shortly.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It sounds like your midwife might be good at what she does but one of those rotten people who don't realize returning calls is polite and necessary. Ug. That is super annoying.
As for the accident waiting to happen...I totally need JD to sneak up on you so I can read a hilarious entry! Hilarious for all of us who aren't there at least
Post a Comment