Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Like ripping off a bandaid

I know it would happen, the big move has been hanging over of us for months.  And now it looks like it's going to happen sooner rather than later.  Probably.

Not to be too cryptic, JD has been offered a new job.  Hopefully a job with much better hours.  In DC.  And he might start later this month.

For a long list of reasons it looks like I am going to stay behind in the big city until Christmas-time.  #1 being that if this particular election results in a new president, his new job might very well disappear.  So there's that.  There's also the immense challenge of finding a new apartment, preschool, daycare, etc.  All in a big, expensive city (oh, and after a 50% paycut for JD). 

And honestly, I am really not ready to go.  I never wanted to move to NYC but now that I've been here for this long, it has so many wonderful conveniences.  We don't own a car.  We have never had to battle carseats on a daily basis.  All of our playdates and activities are within walking or bus or train distance.  I can hop on the subway with both kids and be across the city and at a new adventure in a half hour, usually.  I have found a small group of wonderful mom friends, one of whom lives across the street from me, another who lives a block away from the kids' daycare.  It is going to be really hard to replace those friendships in a new city, especially one in which many more people either work full-full time or not at all.

But we are going to do it.  And at least it is another lovely East coast city.  Not such a big change, even if it is almost certainly only for a few years.

But in the meantime we are going to try and make the most of our last few weekends in the big city together (despite big deadlines for both of us).  I have already found a potential roommate to move into our apartment when JD moves out (I'll sleep on the floor of the kids room) and he is busy searching for the cheapest place he can find in DC for a few months.  And sooner than I think, it'll be just me and the kids again, and then off to a brand new city.

2 comments:

jenn said...

Wow... We are contemplating a possible move for my job... But to nowhere near as nice & pretty. I do have family in VA though & that's a lovely state. I know that public transport into dc is pretty good so while its not nyc, you may be able to still have a lot of what you enjoy now.
Although...You will be further from me so we will have to plan a munchkin meet up before you leave!

Io said...

Oh man, that is big. Of course I am a total homebody who wouldn't have the first clue how to move states. DC is pretty awesome though!