Long-time readers (of which there are at least a few left, I am sure) may recall that my pregnancy with the dumpling (new nickname desperately needed) was rather unpleasant at the beginning because I was quite so anemic. This week we had another "failure to thri.ve" follow up for the exceedingly skinny dumpling and what do you know, all labwork looks excellent except the man is anemic. Really anemic.
Look, I know what to do about this. Really. I, for one, have been anemic to varying degrees going on a decade. Except that he really doesn't eat much (no specific food preferences, no allergies, no sensory issues, he just has days when he doesn't want more than a bit or two of food and will purse his lips uncompromisingly. I mean, he'll happily sit in his high chair and play with the food for a half hour, but try to get it near his mouth and you get a rather stern look). The doctor prescribed iron supplements, twice a day. Every day. But then ... can't really mix those and the dairy which is high fat and probably good for him. So considering committing to meatballs and OJ for breakfast for him everyday with liquid iron and a second dose late night.
I really do think that he is a healthy, normal, very skinny little guy. He's happy, active, walking, climbing and dancing on tables ... in 6 month sized clothes (at a week shy of 14 months).
I just want to see him gain a little weight, and nurse a little more enthusiastically (my supply is rapidly diminishing just because he doesn't eat much), but in the meantime we'll be frying meatballs and slathering peanut butter on everything. Any wisdom much appreciated.
Look, I know what to do about this. Really. I, for one, have been anemic to varying degrees going on a decade. Except that he really doesn't eat much (no specific food preferences, no allergies, no sensory issues, he just has days when he doesn't want more than a bit or two of food and will purse his lips uncompromisingly. I mean, he'll happily sit in his high chair and play with the food for a half hour, but try to get it near his mouth and you get a rather stern look). The doctor prescribed iron supplements, twice a day. Every day. But then ... can't really mix those and the dairy which is high fat and probably good for him. So considering committing to meatballs and OJ for breakfast for him everyday with liquid iron and a second dose late night.
I really do think that he is a healthy, normal, very skinny little guy. He's happy, active, walking, climbing and dancing on tables ... in 6 month sized clothes (at a week shy of 14 months).
I just want to see him gain a little weight, and nurse a little more enthusiastically (my supply is rapidly diminishing just because he doesn't eat much), but in the meantime we'll be frying meatballs and slathering peanut butter on everything. Any wisdom much appreciated.
4 comments:
I'm sorry. I don't have any advice. Good luck beefing him up and I hope that the iron helps. Maybe he'll get an appetite when his iron levels start to come up.
Have you given any thought to consulting an eating therapist? I can't think of the actual speciality, but at our Children's Hospital they have food clinicians that work with kids with physical eating issues (ex: cleft lip/palate, prior feeding tube), kids with sensory and texture issues, and kids that need to gain weight for whatever reason. If he's touching the food that's good but I'd give some thought to having him evaluated for therapeutic intervention. Sometimes a few changes in behavior (by kids, parents, siblings, caretakers) can make a huge difference.
I second what Ms. J mentioned.
(Side note: I left you a follow up question/comment to your comment. Thanks for stopping by!)
Well, here's hoping when the anemia gets better, he'll eat more. I seem to remember reading somewhere that anemia can cause loss of appetite in infants?
Post a Comment