Tuesday, May 24, 2011

success

So, says JD, totally casually when he got home from work last night: "Did you fly carry-on?"

Me, equally casually: "Of course, I always go carry-on on domestic flights."

Him: "Huh."

Which I will totally take as a statement of admiration.

Sure, I was flying alone with 2 babies, a double stroller, and all of the usual accoutrements of a long weekend away including a breastpump and a big bag of clothes gifted to us by another IF blogger, but honestly I think that it was the new-to-us brio train set in the hall which impressed him the most:


We go carry-on. And it wasn't all that bad.

Of course, my apologies to the dear old man in Seat 21B (across from the mini-toilet on a small plane). I know your seat is sucky and smelly and it probably doesn't help to have a toddler sitting on the toilet across the aisle from you with the bathroom door wide open, but really, there was no way I could fit into the bathroom while carrying baby and close the door.

And while we're at it:
- Thanks to the five TSA guys down South who helped put us back together after the fusspot freaked out about having her new teddy x-rayed.
- And the lovely visitors to NC who entertained the fusspot for the better part of an hour while we waited for the bus home from the airport (huge crash at LGA yesterday and all car/bus traffic in and out of the airport was shut down for a while)
- And thanks to everyone on the bus who politely ignored the rather loud conversation between a tired mama and her toddler about "I need to pee!" which resulted in said mama opening her suitcase (on a moving bus) and diapering her reluctant toddler (on a moving bus), all while holding a baby in a sling (on a moving bus)
- And of course to the restaurant across from the bus stop when said tired mama and baby and toddler dashed in to use your bathroom without making any pretense at all of planning to eat at your restaurant
- And to our neighbor who came to meet us at the bus stop and walk us home
- And to the other neighbor who did not in fact dump our laundry even though she was obviously considering it when I saw her. Because the last thing that this tired mama wanted to do was to re-wash a load of dirty laundry necessitated by the fact that the fusspot decided to poo in her pants about 2 minutes after walking into our apartment after an accident-free 9 hours of travel (she did not even pee in the diaper on the bus when given the option)

No comments: