I received my very first mother's day wishes, and almost certainly the most hearty and sincere, at about 12:05 am from a very friendly taxi driver who pulled over to offer his congratulations as I pushed our double stroller complete with sleeping toddler covered in chocolate and lipstick out of a rather loud and rowdy bar while the baby snuggled into the Bjorn and tried his best to block out the world.
We went to a lovely wedding today and because we were out and about for a good 10 hours start to finish we decided to lug along the double stroller even though it meant being that couple who has blocked an entire subway car with their stroller. And that couple who slows everyone down as they attempt to carry their stroller up 3 flights of stairs without waking the sleeping toddler (success!).
It was probably just because the wedding slideshow started with a slew of adorable baby photos, but tonight instead of thinking back to our own wedding or to the upcoming weddings, I thought about the fusspot. I thought about someday being able to send her photos for her own slideshow. And it made me so deeply thankful that despite my medical issues, we are lucky enough to be parents
But least you think that we have become the most boring double-stroller-wielding couple, I leave you with this fine exit to the evening. By the time we left I had been carrying the dumpling for a good 6 hours (he sleeps better in the Bjorn, so he spent a few short naps in the double stroller but it more gave me a clean place to put him down to change, etc.) and since JD was in the wedding party he couldn't really take responsibility for the baby and I was just tired. Which is all to say that when JD looked over at me with a puzzled look and said "Something wrong with your heels?" because I had dead stopped on a dark corner, I just turned and smiled back and said: "Nope, just taking off my underwear." It turns out that there is only so much control-top undergarment a girl can take at 8 weeks post-partum. So to the lovely, young drunk crowd who chose that exact moment to exit a nearby building, no, things were not all that scandalous, but yes, I was indeed removing my undergarments on a very public street in NYC while carrying a sleeping baby in a sling. It happens. Sometimes even on Mother's Day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
That's awesome! Happy mothers day to you!
Oh, how I've missed reading your blog regularly. Trying to get back in the groove now that I'm, you know, unemployed and no longer a student... :-)
Considering it's NYC, I don't find it at all odd that you'd be removing undergarments in plain view.
I am amazed you can keep your sanity after such a long day, truth be told, with two little ones in tow, and only having made the transition recently. WOW! I'm 14 months into the two-kid thing and lemme tell ya, it's moment-by-moment on whether I'm gonna lose my sh*t!
;o)
P.S. How are you feeling???
Post a Comment