Friday, April 29, 2011

much improved

Maybe it's just the sunny weather, maybe it's surviving my first post-partum conference and full day of daycare for the dumpling, maybe it's actually finding someplace to live when our lease expires next month ... or it could just be the 3 days I spent in bed last weekend at my in-laws while my daughter consumed in an inordinate amount of Easter candy (during pesach, no less) and I couldn't be bothered to even get out of bed and enforce order, but I am feeling much better.

Hormones can be so crazy. Because there was never any doubt in my mind through all the anger and sadness (and sleeping on the couch and running off to my office at 1 am to escape it all and refusing to eat and bingeing on chocolate and the usual) that I really, truly live a charmed life. This is what my late afternoons look like about 90% of the time:

(Yes, we live in NYC. This park happens to be 5 minutes from our current apartment and 2 minutes from our next one. Yes, the fusspot owns hiking boots (in size 5). Yes, they are her favorite shoes. Yes, she wears them everyday with whatever cute little dress I chose. Toddlers are odd).

Since not only my hormones were going crazy but my entire body was about to give up last week, I tried really hard to take it easy. No more waking up at 4 am to work. Far less cooking than is ideal for a holiday centered around food. Long walks in NYC (depending on which shot they use in the Glee scene in front of Tiffany's you may see a rather disgruntled woman in a teal t-shirt with a stroller glowering at the cameraman ... what can I say, my doctors offices are in ritzy neighborhoods and I really was not trying to burst into the shot).

I'm off to a toddler birthday party but coming up next week:
- we're not homeless! (but I will be writing my dissertation in a laundromat. You win some, you lose some)
- medical adventures part 2: PT, the shingles that-may-or-may-not-be-real, and one in a million postpartum complications which also may-or-may-not-be-real
- thoughts on a season of toddler dance class and raising a biracial baby
- preparing for the dumpling's first international trip (just me and the dumpling heading across the Atlantic - am I delusional to be looking forward to my relaxing work trip?)
- single parenting from 9 am to 12 am every day and how in the world I'm going to survive

5 comments:

Nicky said...

Glad you're back, and feeling somewhat better! Yes, hormones are a bitch. It's a really weird feeling when you're rational mind is telling you something that you know is true, and yet you just CANNOT convince yourself of it.

jenn said...

The sunny days do wonders for the spirits! Glad you are feeling somewhat better- good luck on your trip!

Amanda said...

Glad you're doing better! Don't be too hard on yourself, even when we have so much to be thankful for we all still have challenges in life and it's human to need some help or a break for awhile.

MyRoseAmongThorns said...

So glad to see a post from you!
Random q-what stroller is that? Any + or - reviews? I'm currently looking for a double and have the requirement that each seat be reversible so new baby can face me and older baby can face out. It makes me sick to think my only option might be the new bugaboo....

The Mama said...

:-) Just wanted to drop by and let you know that I'm still alive and kicking. Very thrilled that you are feeling a bit better today.