for a few superficial thoughts:
1. I actually can bond with other women over having babies the same age (and compatible parenting philosophies. Not the same mind you, but compatible). Exhibit A: Twelve completely unrelated pieces of trivia I shared with JD about my new mom-friend, E. JD seemed a bit puzzled that it all seemed completely incoherent until I reminded him that 2 women who barely know each other cooped up in a small apartment with 2 barely 2 year olds and 2 5 week old babies is not exactly the best set up for a deep conversation. Exhibit B: A Jew and a Mormon push their double strollers into the big grocery store together and decide to share a cart for convenience (no safe place to park the strollers in that neighborhood. Ah, the suburbs and people who can actually put their children into grocery carts and don't have to lug a full shopping cart behind them while they try not to run people over with the double stroller in front of them ...). We loaded up on beer, pork and chocolate and then split a loaf of French bread on the (uphill) walk home.
2. I met another woman with a newborn who (breast)feeds him every 3 hours on a schedule. He was contentedly sucking on a pacifier while we talked, and not even a "pediatrician-approved" soothie, but a real, old-fashioned, actually-stays-in-their-mouth piece of plastic. During our half hour conversation outside, I nursed the dumpling about 3 times for a few minutes each. She kept her shirt on and had a calm conversation. It makes me wonder if I am going out of my way to make things harder for myself. I mean, do I really think that I will get a healthier/happier/more confident son by nursing on demand? Or am I just too sleep-deprived to remember why we did it that way with the fusspot?
3. Exercise. I wish I could. I really do. It would help with my mood, help with looking a bit more normal, etc. Except that I only have 30 hours of daycare for the fusspot and I need to work all of that time (or at least nap/do laundry/cook/run errands). And while I use to take really long walks with the fusspot when she was a baby, I can't really do that with fusspot and dumpling in tow because either she wants to walk, in which case we proceed at a pace close to a mile per decade, or he wakes up and needs to nurse and then I have to find someplace safe to contain her/a snack for her/and the whole trip devolves into crisis management. Suggestions welcome (but don't suggest an exercise video: we don't even have a TV, let alone enough open floor space to stretch and no, I don't have money for a gym membership in the city. A gym with babysitting starts at about $120 per month around here).
4. My post-partum check-up is in the morning. Expect more thoughts on birth control soon. The current consensus here (and pre-tomorrow's trite admonitions) is to play Russian Roulette and presume that I am plenty infertile enough to keep us safe. But maybe that's just sleep deprivation/laziness talking? And probably not the best strategy for the luckiest infertile in the world, after all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
(Please take this as what works for me, not criticism. You know?)
So... I think there's a difference between nursing on demand and allowing the dumpling to snack all day and use you as a pacifier. I feel like I nurse on demand, but that just means that I'm following his cues instead of watching the clock. It doesn't mean that I would let him nurse every 10 minutes, except in extreme circumstances (eg, illness). Each time he eats, I try to make sure that he eats a decent amount. If he's acting hungry 5 minutes later, I assume that he's not hungry, he just wants to suck on something, so I let him suck my finger or a pacifier. If that soothes him, then I was right -- he wasn't hungry, so let him suck on whatever else he wants. If he spits out my finger and fusses more, then I know that he's really truly hungry, and I'll feed him again. The closest together two feedings ever end up being for us is ~90 minutes, and it's usually more than two hours, approaching three.
Basically, I think that it's possible to get the healthy/happy/confident thing without needing to let him nibble every 10 minutes. Or at least, if you're tired of nursing every 10 minutes, it might be worth a day or two of experimentation to find out.
I agree with Nicky- Pumpkin was a highly efficient nurser- but there were many a time she wanted on constantly! Sometimes it was a growth spurt (but even that it was real feeding about every hour for a 6-7 hour stretch) but most of the time it was what we called 'comfort b00b'. She took a pacifier for the first few weeks & then found her thumb & never looked back at binkies again. It's worth a shot to experriment with his 'schedule' (or lack thereof) for a day or two to see if there is something else that can work for you. I am sure he will be just as happy & well adjusted without the constant nursing (especially if it is taking a toll on mommy!)
I can't even imagine food shopping yet with both kids & double stroller- and we live in quasi- suburb type city (fringes of the real downtown where we need a car to get most places & drive to the store). I just got my moby-esque wrap & plan to utilize that to the fullest along with the standard put pumpkin in the cart itself!
But your way does lend itself to finding more like- situated friends!
I'm with Nicky. Nursing on demand is not being a pacifier.
Nursing on demand is letting your child's hunger guide how often they are fed. This means that somedays, they will eat more often, some days less.
If all is going well with the Dumpling's eating, there is no reason why you couldn't introduce a pacifier (or your finger, or guide his little hand to his mouth) if you really feel as if he needs to suckle rather than actually eat. And of course, all rules change for illness, when Will just wanted All Boob, All the Time. Will was also a lot more into comfort nursing than Emma, which I am sure is a baby-specific thing.
But I don't think you can ever go wrong listening to your heart.
And as for BC. . . girl, only play with a loaded gun if you can take the consequences if it should go off. :)
Post a Comment