Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Another day, another airport

It was one of those classic wake-up-early to see someone who just returned to town, rush to the airport (car-to-plane-to-bus-to-boat-to-car transfers) and go to bed happy and full at the beach.

But what I really enjoy nowadays at the airport is watching the families with slightly older children. There was a truly charming mom with about a 9 and 7 year old on our airport bus and while I could hear her reminding them which bags to grab and to step away from the curb, it was also clear that they were both big enough to take care of things themselves. And then I saw a mom with a 5 year old, 3 year old and newborn in a sling. The two older kids both walked through the airport and onto the plane on their own and she carried only a small purse (of course, her husband did show up eventually lugging the big diaper bag).

So, resolved: starting around mid-spring I will stop going carry-on only. Blasted, cheapskate airlines, I will waste $25 of my money for the ease of not lugging everything with me. And, more importantly, I will remember that the days of toddlers and diapers and sippy cups and endless snacks and board books are so very temporary.

Someday my children will walk quietly through the airport, I will not have to flash my seatmate and get nasty glares when I nurse a very active toddler, and I will not sing eensy weensy spider for 45 mintues while we circle to an entire section of the plane, and it will be so lovely.

1 comment:

kate said...

Yeah. You just described my nightmare experience of air travel. Two babies, one screaming, one nursing, lugging a bunch of heavy crap around with me, cramming into over-full overhead bins ('cos lots of airlines no longer even allow early boarding for infants...). Yeah, we'll be paying for baggage when we fly, I think...