Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Called that one last week

So we're deep into bottle refusal at the moment. The dumpling simply doesn't want his bottle. He wants real food, and he sometimes still wants to nurse. Not such a problem for me, but our poor daycare provider has been having a rough week (as have the 3 evening babysitters who have been here since the last post - all for work stuff at night).

So here's the thing: our daycare provider's daughter refused the bottle at 7 months so she just nursed her ... and the kid never again took a bottle. So poor Y. is terrified that the dumpling will never again take a bottle and has been trying to let him get hungry enough to accept it (i.e. he ate nothing from 8:30 am on Monday morning until 4 pm when he caved and gulped down a bottle). I am mostly in awe of her persistence and in full support of it, but wondering if y'all have any other advice?

We've cut the nipple on one of his bottles so that the milk practically pours out. We've tried all sorts of associations (my clothes, the rocking chair) and no luck. He will happily eat any solids you offer, but no interest in the bottle (and occasional protests at the breast too). Our entirely unhelpful pediatrician suggested ... mixing breastmilk into rice cereal. Not only do I not really see the point of rice cereal, but if he's eating solids I might as well feed him leftover dinner from the night before.

Other than that this week is a full mix of emotions:
3 friends will have/have already had new babies (only one local).
2 of those babies will be welcome by older siblings who have not yet celebrated their 2nd birthdays.
All of those women are hoping for unmedicated deliveries - including one at home.
Both women with prior pregnancies had very serious complications after delivering their first babies and have every reason to expect the same again this time (hemorraging and infection for one, bedrest and unable to walk for weeks for the other)
Oh, and in addition to thinking about all of that my local friend is miscarrying.

I would not say that I am 100% back into baby envy yet, but should a lightning-strikes-a-pot-of-gold-at-the-end-of-the-rainbow-twice-on-a-bright-sunny-day situation happen and I found myself in such a weird state again, I would be ready. There, I said it. It's my blog and I can make it all about me and there's really no one I could even mention that too around here. In the meantime, off to ship new baby packages around the world.

2 comments:

jenn said...

poor dumpling! (& mom & y) I hope it's just a short lived nursing strike- but could you try a sippy cup? pumpkin drank out of the soft tipped kind pretty early on. maybe a new vehicle or warming/cooling the milk would help?
Good luck- and I am sorry for your friend.

Searching said...

They also have tilty cups without lids that are designed for BF babies. My friend's baby (still BF at 19mo) refused the bottle, & I mean REFUSED. I'm a baby nurse & went through 7 diff bottles & nipples while they were out of town (so no mommy option at all). I was able to get him to do about 2/3 of what he needed via bottle, but the last 2 feeds were a joke. Syringe dripping is not a feasible feeding method though. The tilty cup- yes. He did sooo much better. His nursing strike was around 5mo and they introduced the cup around 6mo, after he swung from his 3d of no BF to a life w/o bottles. He took a cup of water with a straw from someone around 10mo and we found he could do straws VERY well. Something to at least try!

Best of luck, and so sorry for the mix of emotions lately. It can be really rough. :(