It seems that it's always when things are going well that one little glitch reminds you that this is hard. I have food poisoning, caught eating out on Sunday afternoon. Cue 24 hours lying curled up in a ball too sick to get out of bed ... and you have a nursing disaster. Thankfully I have a long history of GI problems and wonderful docs, but it was still none too heartening when they suggested an immediate trip to the ER for IV fluids, oh, and pick up some formula on the way over. I skipped the ER (for now, definitely still in reserves depending on how I'm doing in a few hours) and have been raiding the freezer stash, but it's looking like a few long days of non-stop nursing/pumping to get everything back in order. At this point we have no idea if the fever is Salmonella related, or the result of a plugged duct. If only there were some breastfeeding-safe meds to treat the awful d this would be a lot easier. And of course, I hadn't really noticed until it became a problem that we have just reached 5.5 months - the pinnacle of milk demand for the baby and the point when I start to feel really over the whole nursing thing (Nursing a toddler who also eats solids is entirely different from nursing an exclusively breastfed baby, the former I could do happily do forever). On our calendar we have another 6-10 weeks before we start solids (I know, I know we are crazy fanatics about early food. All I can say is that it was fine before) and I am getting increasingly excited. Of course, the idea of a second high chair and the attendant mess being dropped directly into our friendly rodents' holes is a bit terrifying, but hopefully they will be long gone by then.
In summary: sick, pumping non-stop, still turning on the lights before walking into every room in the apartment, rather grumpy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment