Thursday, June 16, 2011

Just one more little reason I love him

We spent our first wedding anniversary having a lovely pasta dinner overlooking the Adriatic ocean while our darling fusspot cooed happily in her stroller.

For our second wedding anniversary we went for ice cream sundaes at Baskin Robbins. With my-in laws in tow. And the fusspot, of course. (Yes, the whole point was they were supposed to babysit while we went out to dinner but somehow they decided to come with us instead ...). But, we also were 14 days post-trigger with a bfp.

For our third wedding anniversary (i.e. yesterday) we hopped in a cab with 4 suitcases, 2 boxes, 1 toddler tricycle and a large vase to drop them off at our new apartment. But after that, we went out to a romantic dinner sans fusspot or dumpling. Over dinner I mentioned that I had been reading the October 2010 Harpers (just a tad behind the times) about tension in the feminist movement and thought maybe I should be reading some feminist blogs unrelated to fertility and babies and such ... and JD jumped in with a full run-down of every major feminist blog from Feministing to an op-ed in Slate last week with his recommendations, which ones I would like, what was interesting but poorly written. Because despite being rather a slacker at some things my guy is very much on the same page as me about the things that matter.

And yes, for the record, I am very much the luckiest infertile in the world. In our 3 years of marriage I have now been pregnant for 15 months (oops) and breastfeeding for all but 9 of those 36 months (yes, that math is correct). (Not that we didn't try for almost 5 years prior to the fusspot, but once we really geared up for injectables things went very quickly).

Which is why I have mostly forgiven him for packing not a single box even though we are moving tomorrow. I'm expecting about 80 boxes given the 10 bookshelves we have (8 of my books, 2 of children's books) plus a kosher kitchen (i.e. 2 of everything), endless baby clothes, cloth diapers, art supplies, Etsy splurges, etc.

Oh yes, and since we are about to be laundromat people I have committed to washing every single item of clothing/blankets/pillows/towels we own. Anxiety about being a laundromat girl again? Yup.

Back again from my delightful new apartment. And let's hope for a cool weekend. Apparently our window guards will not be installed until next week (it's on the 6th floor and yes the fusspot could definitely rearrange the furniture and climb her way out any of the 6 windows unless we leave them bolted shut. Have you ever spent a weekend unpacking in a hermetically sealed NYC apartment? And apparently the building is not required to provide a gate for the 2 windows which open onto the fire escape even though it's a 6 floor drop and thus we will be spending $300-$400 installing our own gates ... let's just hope that the hardware store can order them tomorrow and get them installed Monday morning.

2 comments:

MyRoseAmongThorns said...

I'm with you! We are currently packing up our apt. and begin moving on Sunday. We're also downsizing (technically) but are gaining a garage and in house laundry!

jenn said...

Congrats on your anniversary! Romantic parents-only dinner sounds pretty lovely to me, and it's so wonderful that you & JD share so many views & beliefs and can still have great conversations about things other than kids & babies. :)

Good luck with moving... I am hoping for especially cool & lovely weather for you!