In 2 weeks when we move we will yet again be ... laundromat people. And of course, laundromat folks in a neighborhood where most buildings have laundry in the basement. This morning I went to check out the laundromat options and they are grim. The farther one is bright and cheerful but three (!!!) dollars a load and with a blaring TV. The slightly closer one is about as dank and dark and stinky as you can get, and I can't even imagine where I would sit to nurse the dumpling should he happen to be with me.
Of course there are plenty of full-service laundromats around. Besides the cost, I really can't stand having other people do my laundry. We never dry any of our clothes. I just don't get the point. It's bad for the environment, it's bad for your clothes and in the summer they dry in a couple of hours from the heat and in the winter they dry even faster near the radiators and that just leaves a few wet weeks in the springtime when they take overnight to dry. Which means that all of my clothes are going to shrink when they are sent out.
And then there's the diaper issue. That is, the cloth diaper issue. At this point it's not just all the usual perks of cloth diapers (like my 2 year old toilet training herself) but the added complication of co-sleeping. We only own 2 sets of sheets (and yes, we have guests a lot) and I'd guess that at least twice a week the dumpling's diaper leaks when he's wearing a disposable. Cloth diaper? No leaks. So if we use disposables and have him in our bed we'll need to buy more fitted sheets and be willing to lug those to the laundromat. But if we cloth diaper I can't even get away with once a week laundry (although using a cloth cover over a disposable would let me get away with a once a week trip). Plus, at $2.25 a load at the closer laundromat we're still looking at a minimum of $4.50 just to cloth diaper 4 days a week.
Speaking of cloth diapers, I am newly enamoured of Sunbaby diapers. I got a few in a craigslist stash and they fit really well, plus they are about $5 to buy new. The webpage is a bit sketchy (it looks like some artificially introduced the typos, etc.) but I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about them (they are the only one size AIO diapers made in China apparently)? I am considering buying a super-cheap stash of 24 Sunbaby diapers and being willing to let them sit dirty longer than the recommended 3 days if necessary. Also, going to float the idea of sneaking into our daycare provider's basement to use her washing machine for diapers "occasionally."
Oh, and the last wash at both laundromats is 8 pm. I was imagining putting both kids to bed, getting a teenage babysitter, and then running out to do laundry. But there's no way that I'll make it there by 8.
Ugh.
And if you've read this far, a photo I meant to attach to yesterday's post. An essential part of any complete breakfast (and yes, I was never farther than 2 feet from the table because I am well aware that he can scoot himself off). And since I honestly believe that I forgot to post his real name and birth photo, we went with the Norton Juster inspiration, hence Baby M---:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Pancakes with a side of Dumpling!
I do not miss laundry mat days. I know that I have heard of sunbaby diapers before but I can't remember if it was bad or good. I know it was diaperswappers that I read about them on. I definitely wouldn't buy a large stash if you haven't tried them out first. They are tempting affordable and cute!
For the laundry issue, have you considered a portable washing machine? Google Haier, I think they have several models; often people are getting rid of them on Craigslist or local parenting groups. I think J&R sells them too. There are other brands as well. They're usually top loading, pretty small capacity, you attach a hose to the kitchen or bathroom faucet to run the water in, and it drains through a hose going back into the sink. You probably couldn't do all your laundry in it but it would get you through diapers and kids' clothes, at least, one tiny load at a time, until the next time you can hit the laundromat. We've been thinking of getting one.
Baby M is absolutely adorable!
No tips for the laundry. That's still my absolute least favorite chore. Good luck with the move.
Post a Comment