Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Trip to L and D #2

went surprisingly well. Although I do wish that the midwife who suggested I head in had been a bit more forthright about their policy about unattended toddlers. I.e. it's not exactly that "they weren't happy" so much as "no children under age 12 means that you and your toddler will sit in the waiting room until you've run through your full list of contacts and we really don't care that you'd like to know if the baby in your tummy is dead or alive until you find someone to ditch the toddler with." So yeah. Lesson learned. Next time, don't even bother to head in until I find someone to watch the fusspot.

I was of course a bit more on edge by the time I was admitted than when I arrived an hour previously, which lead to an almost knock-down-drag-out fight with the head nurse in L and D who suggested that I remove both bra and undies prior to starting an NST. I had some choice words for her about not really feeling the need to freeze my more tender body parts during a 45 minute NST and also fully intending to refuse an internal exam (baring some disastrous NST result) and thus being quite content to keep my undies on. She actually called in the doctor, who fully endorsed my choice to remain slightly covered (but still shivering) through my NST. Of course, I was most sympathetic to the woman with pre-e next curtain over to me who was told "not to cry" about being induced immediately. Seriously, no idea what happened at L and D today, but nobody had an ounce of sympathy left.

Needless to say, the bargain baby, who had utterly refused to budge for over 24 hours despite the practically lethal combo of 2 glasses of OJ and a bag of dried pineapple, was perfectly fine. I rather enjoyed the extended u/s done for the benefit of the rather attractive and utterly clueless med student, and in the end JD left work early to come watch the fusspot in the lobby of the hospital. Which also meant that we had our first family dinner together in about 2 weeks (my husband has not been home before 1 am since last Friday ... and he's been heading out before the fusspot and I are up in the mornings. In retrospect, do I feel bad about moving to Lalaland alone last year? Nope). He is of course back at work, but that's ok.

Speaking of med students, one of my dear friends just finished his ob/gyn residency. I mention this because he had 2 days off after the rotation, and came to hang out with us. At some point he asked if I was nervous about anything this time, and the issue of the fusspot unweaning came up. He was utterly baffled and mumbled something about she probably wouldn't remember how to latch on, it having been 9 months and all ... yeah, Mr.-Doctor-in-2-months was taught in med school that breastmilk dries up as soon as you get pregnant. Cracks me up.

And yet again, thank you for all of the name suggestions. No resolution yet, but we at least have a longer list of possibilities.

3 comments:

Ms. J said...

So lemme get this straight . . . if you show up with a sudden need for medical attention, they don't assign a resident or even a med student to babysit your kid all day, and entertain them in the staff room, like I see on "Gr.ey's An.atomy" and every other medical drama on t.v.? LOL, just trying to lighten the mood!

Geez, the state of NYC ob/gyn care scares the crap out of me, as well as the complete lack of compassion by medical "professionals."

How's the snack/food-packing for the hospital going?

:o)

Nicky said...

I get that they don't want toddlers running around L&D, but yikes -- they really made you just sit there?

I agree with Mrs. J -- you're mostly just making me *really* glad that I don't live in NYC! The lack of flexibility astounds me.

kate said...

Um, what's up with the whole no-undies-no-bra NST?? Did they think they were dealing with an amateur? I mean, really. Where, exactly, were they trying to place the monitors anyway? Henry was low, low, low, and I still kept myself fully clothed for all 2,000 NSTs I had. Whatever.

And I'm kind of appalled that you had to wait to find child care before they would see you. What if you were in actual labor? Would they have made any kind of exception?

I am glad you are making progress on the name front. Just a couple more weeks to go!