Friday, February 18, 2011

A quick question

Since we're still stuck on names and all and you, my dear readers, were so very helpful last time I publicly pondered these questions ... tell me true what are your associations with the following (granted, exceedingly unusual) names:

Ad.lai
A.mos
E.mil
Av.ner
Mi.lo

We're wondering if one of these has particular racial connotations, or if that reference is now too old to be that important, and if another is so exceedingly waspish as to be unpleasant. Not that I knew either reference until my father mentioned them, but apparently my cultural knowledge is a bit limited.

I really appreciate all of the earlier suggestions and found it quite funny that several people including Angela (do you have a blog?) included our chosen middle name. The middle name has been fixed for some time and would have been the first name had it not jumped in popularity in the past 2 years thanks to some rather unfortunate celebrities including a Brazilian supermodel/football player couple and John Travolta's "miraculously-conceived-naturally-thanks-to-the-power-of-wanting-it-really-badly-and-relaxing" baby.

We also realized last night that one big problem is that JD's last name is so short that a lot of the easy Hebrew names like Lev, Dov and Eli really don't work with it. I don't want to give my kid a burden for filling out forms, but it seems like his full name should be slightly over 2 syllables/6 letters. Of course, that does raise the question of using my last name for the bargain baby, something we debated for a long time with the fusspot. JD is totally open to it, but now that one child has his last name I'd kind of like to continue to use it for the rest to minimize confusion. However, my name is one of those totally classic Jewish last names (like Cohen or Goldstein) which would eliminate the need for a Hebrew first name. Argh! Back to work.

9 comments:

QueSera said...

Sorry to say this, but when I see A.mos, I still completely think of Andy and see it in racial terms. I'm in my early 30s, but I think anyone older will definitely see it that way. A.dlai makes me think of Stevenson, but I don't think that's a bad thing.

I really like the name E.mil! Always have.

Good luck deciding!

(Oh, in case you are curious who I am: abdmama.tumblr.com)

Ms. J said...

Okay, you asked for opinions . . .

* Ad.lai . . . Adlai Stevenson, the failed presidential candidate

* A.mos . . . yep, Amos and Andy

* Em.il . . . very French, and with Emily being so popular I wonder how many times in a new setting he'd hear "Emily ____?" with teacher or employer thinking a misprint.

* Avne.r . . . mever heard of it as a first name. Guess it's okay?

* M.ilo ... like it a lot! I think Ric.ki La.ke named her son that. Actress Cam.ryn Manheim ("The Pr.actice") also has a son named that. I know a grown-up locally, also Jewish, who has that names and is a respected businessman, so I think it's a nice fit, and combines many elements you have mentioned.

kate said...

First associations as they come to mind:
Adlai-- Adlai Stevenson, 50s/60s politician. Decent guy, so not a bad association, but that's the first thing that comes to mind.

Amos-- Famous Amos cookies. Sorry, but that's what I think of! Again, not a bad association. He makes a darn fine cookie. Or alternately, I think of Amos and Andy.

Emil- Emil and The Soup Tureen, a very good children's book by Astrid Lindgren (author of Pippi Longstocking, in case you weren't a crazy fan of hers!)

Avner-- Lil Abner, the cartoon character (not the same thing, I know, but again, that's my association)

Milo-- Milo and Otis, the movie. And my friend's incredibly sweet old golden retriever, Milo.


My associations are quite random, I realize, and 99% of the world will not have those associations, so you should pretty much disregard what I have to say.

What about Asher? Did someone already suggest that? Is it too up-and-coming hit right now? Just thought I'd toss it out.

Nicky said...

Yep, like everyone else: Adlai Stevenson and Amos and Andy. But you know what? Screw it! If you like the names, use 'em. Very few associations are so strong that your son's unique personality won't override them within five minutes of being around him, you know?

Besides, if none of those associations existed, you'd be meeting people who would say that Amos was the idiot kid in fourth grade who everyone made fun of for eating paste. And nothing protects any of these names from getting strong associations in the future. My LL's name had one strong association that I was totally okay with (blue jeans) and then someone with the same name had to go and knock up Sarah Palin's daughter, and it's what everyone thinks of now. Nothing I can do about that. Or, my best friend growing up had a beautiful and unique name and she was perfectly happy with it until she was in her thirties and everyone suddenly started saying, "Like the hurricane that destroyed New Orleans?"

S and I talked about this stuff a lot when we were naming our second, and here's what we ultimately decided: unique names tend to have one big association, because they're unique. The only names that don't are the ones that are so common that everyone has multiple associations. If you name a kid John, nobody says, "Like John McCain?" because he's one of a million famous Johns, so the associations are all muddied. You name a kid Barack, and you'll get a very different reaction. It's the price you pay for picking a unique name.

Any of those five names would be great. Two months from now, the only association any of them will have FOR YOU is to your son, and the rest won't matter.

jenn said...

I actually have the same associations as Kate for #1 &2- politician & cookies. Emil is my personal fave because of my grandfather (and in our fam that spelling is actually slovak/eastern european) I really love the name Mi.lo & it would have been on our list except my hub thinks it a tad too hipster sounding being that we live in a city with a seemingly divided hipster/blue collar & closed minded population.
Avner gives me the impression of a sweet befuddled old man with glasses (but I am also extremely sleep deprived & sick right now so that may be why!)

And I do agree that it really doesn't matter what name you ultimately decide on. There will be an association by someone somewhere that will raise an awkward question. Our pumpkin's name is a unique typically used for boys unisex name. She is constantly called by a similar sounding, but unliked by us, traditional girls name. There are worse things in life!
In 2 short weeks (or sooner?!) the bargain baby will be here with his perfect for him name!

Anonymous said...

Milo is a delicious malty chocolate drink in Australia. But unless you plan to move there with the bargain baby, I wouldn't worry.
Emil is very French to me- I wouldn't associate it with Jewish ethnicity.

Anonymous said...

d.lai - Not heard of it - sounds slightly feminine.

* A.mos - Famous Amos.

* Em.il - Kind of like it, but reminds me of that loud TV chef.

* Avne.r - sounds very old-fashioned - reminds me of Mary Tyler Moore (was that Ed Asner though>)

* M.ilo - I have always loved this name since I read The Phantom Tollbooth as a kid. Sadly I'm having my family in Australia and NZ where it's the name of a popular breakfast drink - but I used it for my cat instead. If I could have used it for a son, I would. Sounds lovely with your planned middle name too.

Justine L said...

M.ilo - another Phantom Tollbooth lover here ...!! :) hang in there ... you're almost there!!

Deb said...

I have the same associations as Kate with the added association of The Phantom Tollbooth for Milo. You can only break assocations/stereotypes by trying to change them so I say use the name that you love the most.