Monday, January 31, 2011

Sometimes I shouldn't read blogs ...

It's 4 am. I'm on the couch listening to the fusspot cough. Shouldn't be a big deal except that I just read 2 blog posts about toddlers who had to be rushed to the hospital for breathing issues. And while the fusspot was her normal, active self for most of the day she also had several distinctly unusual and inflated meltdowns over little things like not being let out of the stroller or having a second cookie confiscated. I really hope that she's better in the morning.

In more entertaining medical news, we yet again learn that Dr. Google is only as sophisticated as the user. I have spent the last 2 weeks googling some variation of "arthritis in pregnancy" despite JD's weak assurances that they probably aren't all that linked given that one is a degenerative disease associated with age ... See I've been waking up with my hands clenched and in pain and having a good deal of trouble getting them to work either early in the morning (did I mention that a large part of my work right now is data entry?) or late at night (trying to finish up a baby quilt. Nothing 1m x 1m should take this long ...). So I kept on googling arthritis, until a friend quietly suggested that the correct term might be "carpal tunnel." So yeah, count me in for excruciating carpal tunnel, although thankfully when it's pregnancy related it is supposed to clear up shortly post-partum.

2 comments:

Nicky said...

I had that exact same problem with my hands and wrists when I was pregnant with LL. They were clenched when I woke up, and I couldn't straighten my fingers until nearly noon. It's caused by the same water retention and swelling that makes your ankles swell, only it's much more painful in your wrists because everything is smaller and you need more fine motor control in your hands than your feet.

It did, indeed, go away within ~2 weeks of giving birth.

kate said...

I had that, too. I totally feel for you. It was so hard to deal with. It's also why the boys were 4 months old before I managed to finish *their* quilts, because I couldn't hold a needle until I was 3 mos post-partum. Sometimes, it takes a little longer to go away!

What I used: carpal tunnel braces, though they were of limited effectiveness past a certain point. Ice packs. And naproxen, post-partum.

And yeah, after our breeze through the ER, where we were placed in the flu wing, due to respiratory symptoms I was having, I came home and read 3 different posts about hospitalized babies with RSV. Yeah. *So* what I needed to read after exposing the boys to all that germy goodness. Fun!