Friday, January 7, 2011

Gorgeous snow

falling across the city. Thank you all for your comments on my last post. I do really appreciate your indulging my extravagance.

Had a long chat with JD about many things last night. Newest tactful comment from my darling husband: "I have never seen a maternity shot of anyone that looked good. Total waste of a photo session." So there you have it. Our less expensive photo session will be saved for a gift for my in-laws (to take photos with the fusspot, naturally) and JD has promised me "decent" belly shots next weekend. Or possibly in the snow this weekend (don't worry, lots of snow but it's still quite warm out).

I did however sign us up for a (single) cleaning session, with a company which uses (I know, I know, we live in an absurd neighborhood) only organic cleaning products. Hopefully something like groupon will have another offer and I figure 2 professional cleaning visits should get us through the spring.

In total loony-ness, I realized that my husband has RSVP'd to attend a friend's wedding 2.5 weeks after the bargain baby's due date, and conveniently on my big 3-0 birthday weekend. And at the moment I'm really thinking that I might just go with him (he is by the way presiding at a wedding on his big 3-0 birthday later this spring). Presuming that the bargain baby is born prior to his due date, I would have at least a 3 week old. It's a flight, but that's totally doable with a little baby and then warm weather and friends in Texas. We'd leave the fusspot with my in-laws, so it would also be a bit of a break for me. This is crazy, right? Most of me feels like the real costs are the hotel and car rental, and JD's going to pay those anyway so if I buy a ticket and toss it, no great loss. Of course, I won't even broach this subject with my mother until we're safely returned, which probably means it's a terrible idea ...

I have lots more to post about the rest of our conversation but it will have to wait for later (largely about my immense bafflement that JD is as unconcerned about 'family planning' post-bargain baby as I am, although for entirely different reasons).

I did astoundingly make it to the opera last night despite having to run home from waiting in line to buy rush tickets, transfer fusspot from daycare to our neighbor's, grab a sandwich and then cab back to the opera because I was cutting it that close ... and of course, in true mom-style I finished my elegant evening by running by the grocery store to pick up some things. The joys of grocery shopping alone are much underrated and it may be the first time in months I've been able to browse the grocery aisles without singing the wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round ...

2 comments:

Amanda said...

You know, I will agree that most maternity shots that I've seen leave something be desired, but that's not the point! The point is having something to remember the process and experience of being pregnant. I just don't think men understand. I have almost no photos of me being pregnant and I wish I would have fussed more and gotten some. My husband is an awful photographer (he can't even get focused shots 90% of the time) so I really have nothing that I enjoy looking at from my pregnancy.

Caro said...

I wish I'd taken more bump shots this time, I just somehow never got around to it.

As for the wedding, we flew to the UK for a wedding at the end of November and Freya was born on the 3rd so it'd definitely doable /although tiring). We also had to get her a passport in that time.