I left my daughter at daycare this morning ... even though she was at that very moment screaming her head out as part of her first-ever cry it out naptime routine. Yes, they put the babies (swaddled, with pacifiers - permission slip necessary if you want them on their stomach) into their cribs, start a little music, and then close the door.
The daycare worker (I will think of nicknames since there are only two, and both seem like potential American Idol competitors - think lots of style for working in a daycare) put the fusspot down and when she screamed for about 2 minutes asked if this was normal for her. I retrieved her, fed her, and then put her down again. I mean, where to start?
- She doesn't actually sleep in her crib that much - she's usually in bed with us
- We almost never set her down fully awake
- She always has an adult sitting next to her until she falls asleep
- I often nurse her to sleep, even during naptimes
- Her nanny would routinely hold her and rock her for her entire nap
In short, rockstar wanna-be with big hoop earrings, this is not normal for her because she's never been in this situation before.
But I really do trust that she will be ok and she will get sufficient attachment parenting from me to have her ever-so-delicate ego (at least according to the Sears-school) intact. And I am quite sure that she will be safe at this particular daycare, which is of course the most important thing. And of course, in the long run she will be a happier kid for having a happy mother with a career.
So Daycare Dilemna #1: 4 or 5 days a week?
I had planned to put the fusspot in daycare 5 days a week, but upon arrival here I found out that the place where I work is only open for 4 hours on Mondays (hence sitting home on a Monday morning after dropping the fusspot). And while it would be wonderful to drop the fusspot and have 4 full hours a week to myself (remember I'll be a single working mother here in Europe), I am suddenly not sure it's worth the price. The cost has gone up slightly since November and the exchange rate has gotten significantly worse and suddenly I'm looking at $90 per day for daycare. Ninety dollars. It's a fortune. It is actually the same amount that many women pay their NYC nannies per hour, but you are required to pay 8 am to 6 pm every day that you opt in, which is a 10-hour day. And the exchange rate doesn't help, nor does the fact that employers here pay at least 50% of the daycare costs and then the rest is a tax deduction, so there are very few price-sensitive working mothers combined with a huge shortage of infant daycare spots, and I don't really see us having much flexibility. And JD made it even worse by noting that the $4000 or so I'd save this year by going to 4 days a week would get us a good part of the way towards cycling again. But then, am I crazy to give up my only opportunity to read/run errands/take a nap/make babyfood during daylight hours without the fusspot in tow?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
It had to be a tough morning, for you and for Fusspot.
Love the mental imagery of American Idol contestants watching her, LOL!
How wicked (kidding) of JD to tempt you into savings with the hint towards cycling ;o)
I know it couldn't have been easy, but it sounds like you and your Fusspot handled it well. I'm glad you're not worried about her ego as I'm confident she will be fine.
I would love to write more but I need to pack my bags and get to NYC ASAP and apply for some nanny positions. I nearly choked on a cherry when I read that some get paid $90 an hour.
Post a Comment