Thursday, June 28, 2012

Stuck in the same rut

Just about the same place as we last left off.  Today the dumpling got himself soaking wet at the playground and since I had promised the fusspot ice cream I rummaged through the bottom of an old diaper bag to try and find something dry ... and yup, at a few days shy of 16 months he still fit comfortably into a 3 month onesie (with cloth diaper).

I did very much like the pediatric gastroenterologist we saw this week.  She was calm, happy to take a detailed medical history, very reassuring and listened to my fears.  She told me repeatedly that she was not particularly worried and that we've done a good job of starting to rule out the extreme problems.  And then the woman with a 3 month wait for an appointment walked me up to the front desk and assured them that I needed a follow-up in 3 weeks max.  No, 4 weeks was too long.  Not worried?

In other completely random news, we had sort-of haphazardly agreed to send the fusspot out to my in-laws this weekend.  This is always a double-edged sword.  I get some time without the high demands, talkative toddler, but since there are no rules about food or sleep or manners at my in-laws it always takes at least a day and sometimes several for her to return to our routine (yes, they frequently keep her up until 11 pm or later because "she doesn't want to go to bed.")  Since JD is out of town, that would leave me a full weekend with just one (small) easy to manage toddler.  I immediately pondered lengthy brunches with friends and long shopping trips to places inaccessible with the double stroller ....  I tried to set up plans with a few friends, but I basically don't have local friends without kids now and those with kids will all be busy with their kids and not really wanting to leave their neighborhoods ... and suddenly I am facing a long heat-wave weekend with absolutely nothing to do and oodles of work to stress about.  Oh yeah, and no shopping because we are on a strict budget at the moment.  So my big weekend plans consist of ... Whole Foods, maybe Trader Joes, and certainly a Starbucks or two when the temperature hits about 100.  I have considered all the fun things which I could do with just one baby (Met, Governor's Island, Uniqlo) ... but all would involve committing to missing the opportunity to work during the dumpling's naps and anyway perhaps not the very most fun with just a toddler in tow.  I used to be more fun than this.  I used to plan wild excursions alone when I lived in Europe with just the fusspot.  When did my world constrict so very much?

So I tried to invite myself out to my in-laws, and was promptly told that they were too busy.  Huh.

And anyway, all of the recent literature on working women suggests that if I was really serious about my career this is exactly how my life should be.  Waking up at 4 am to put in a few extra hours before the kids are up (thank you NYT parenting blog) and limiting all interactions outside of work and kids.

Speaking of which, it's almost 11 pm so I should get back to work.  I guess the brief summary is that I am not handling the stress and all the joys of being the only parent present all that well.  But then again, that's probably just too much to expect.

2 comments:

luxzia said...

Yep, my girl fell asleep nursing as I was on a conference call. Fun fun fun.

Io said...

Sorry the weekend didn't turn out the way you had imagined. Hope it got better.